986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Just bought my first 986S ! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78182)

yummyporsche 07-05-2020 09:29 AM

Just bought my first 986S !

Hi there ! I'm Rachel :) I moved to the US (AZ valley) from Canada late last year

Been lurking the forums a bit, and have finally gotten my first 2001 porsche boxster 986S 6spd mt about 2 days ago. This thing is fun and fast ! I bought it from a small youtuber who had worked on the car and disclosed all of the small issues it has that I'll be taking on.

I took off the driver seat yesterday cleaning the terminals to the alarm control unit as recommended by the prev. owner. Didn't fix the problem, but still troubleshooting !

In the time being just pulling the fuse to disable the alarm lol (and the windows as a byproduct).

Mainly bought this car to learn more about wrenching on a car, as I've worked in Mfg Engineering in automotive, but have not once actually taken apart a car other than its HVAC components as I worked on car HVAC systems in my senior year internship (embarassingly). I've just graduated and now I currently work in software but still want to be less of a pencil pushing engineer (hopefully it's not too late and I'm not biting off way more than I can chew!).

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1593969477.jpg

BYprodriver 07-05-2020 02:15 PM

Congratulations on the Boxster & graduaion Porshe's are fairly complicated & all parts are expensive. You can access the engine from the top & underneath but it helps to do some Yoga classes 1st. I have worked with Mechanical engineers before on new car projects so I know how precise they like to be. I have worked in the automotive industry a long time & driven a lot of cars. In my opinion the 986 is the funnest to drive! I worked a 2 week special event for Chrysler in Scottsdale, nice place when it's cool.

Rickvd 07-05-2020 06:54 PM

Congrats Rachel. I have an 04S that I purchased in 2018. Going on my 3rd year now and have had a lot of fun. Enjoy your new ride. Rick

Ciao 07-06-2020 07:37 AM

Congrats! Boxsters are fun to drive, eh!

steved0x 07-06-2020 08:08 AM

Welcome!!!! The Boxster was the first car I ever worked on as well.

Frodo 07-06-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 620097)
Welcome!!!! The Boxster was the first car I ever worked on as well.

Me too! Welcome!
Between youtube, "101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster," and the Bentley "Porsche Boxster Service Manual," one can figure out how to do almost anything on these cars. (Having a kid who loves working on cars, who's good at it, and who now has a commercial grade lift in his garage doesn't hurt either :D )

maytag 07-06-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yummyporsche (Post 620065)
Mainly bought this car to learn more about wrenching on a car, as I've worked in Mfg Engineering in automotive, but have not once actually taken apart a car other than its HVAC components as I worked on car HVAC systems in my senior year internship (embarassingly). (hopefully it's not too late and I'm not biting off way more than I can chew!).

Never too late, Rachel! :cool:

Enjoy it. Though there are "funner" cars, you'll never (in my opinion) find a better FUN:$$Spent ratio than the Boxster S. Ever.

Welcome to the forum. and the addiction.

yummyporsche 07-06-2020 04:12 PM

Thanks everyone :)

I've very quickly learned that I'll be relying on the internet a lot for information 🤣.

Troubleshooting a car when you work at the mfg plant is SOOOO MUCH easier than in your garage (I know this is obvious but still). Everything I've needed to find out about a HVAC part while working in the plant, all I've had to do was look up the CAD model and section view it accordingly, and reference the supplier drawings. Spare parts were super handy and abundant to use for troubleshooting in the plant too !!!

I also can't just product req broken parts on company expense 🤣.

Not exactly the case when you don't have either of those ! The cars got a lot of random unplugged wires, severed cables that I've had to dig through the internet to find out what they are. Need to brush up on reading circuit diagrams too..

Still got lots to learn , but I'll get there.

yummyporsche 07-07-2020 06:10 AM

Thanks everyone ! :)

1PorscheBoxster986 07-09-2020 07:16 AM

Welcome to the forum. My guess would be you bought the vehicle off Brian from this forum. You'll learn a lot working on these cars; the easy and the hard ways.