986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   New member - SF bay area - 2000 boxster 2.7 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77733)

95020 05-04-2020 09:01 AM

New member - SF bay area - 2000 boxster 2.7

Hello!

So I've had this car for about 4 years now and with some free time (finally) getting started tackling some projects/deferred maintenance/etc.

Been reading through these forums for years and it's finally time I contribute/participate.

2000 Silver Boxster - 2.7L - 5 spd - Silver - about 65,000 miles.

BYprodriver 05-05-2020 07:08 AM

Welcome, If I were you I would make sure you're parking brake works very well !

95020 05-05-2020 09:18 AM

Whew!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

I went and double checked and it was a good thing I did. The car was rolling away! Fortunately it hadn't built up too much momentum yet and was able to dive and grab the front bumper as it went by. My knees are a bit bloody but the care is safe!

Thanks again!

piper6909 05-05-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95020 (Post 616521)
Whew!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

I went and double checked and it was a good thing I did. The car was rolling away! Fortunately it hadn't built up too much momentum yet and was able to dive and grab the front bumper as it went by. My knees are a bit bloody but the care is safe!

Thanks again!

I know that was tongue-in-cheek. :D

In case it wasn't, two ways to avoid that in the future:
1) Put it in reverse if parked downhill, or first if parked uphill.
2) Turn the wheels toward the curb if parked downhill, away from the curb if parked uphill.

Use both methods all the time. It's a good practice in the event your parking brake should fail.

Allegro 05-08-2020 03:04 AM

Or move to Kansas.

Starter986 05-08-2020 06:18 AM

In around 2001 my job entailed serving hospital clients. I was assigned a truck in which I carried certain technical equipment. One day, when leaving Federal Way back to Tacoma I hit the 705 to go downtown to check my PO Box.

Slight incline leading to the front of the massive post office (11th and A street). I park my truck out front on the one way street... go in to check my mail... and return to find my truck gone. Stolen? Keys were in my pocket.

So I'm thinking, "I'm facked. Truck gone... equipment gone... I've some explaining to do."

I start thinking that could have happened when I look down the block and around the corner of another street where I see the front end of the truck sticking out. I'm like, "WTF? Is someone facking with me?".

So I walk the, literally, block towards my truck to see who is messing with me. Get to the truck: No one.

I look inside and find that the transmission (manual) was in neutral and the emergency brake wasn't on. It was then I figured out that as I was walking away from the truck it started rolling down hill... rolled a block... did a 90 degree turn rolling backwards... and parked itself behind the stop sign. It looked like it had been parked.

Scared the shat out of me... and you can bet I've employed the very methods Pipe recommends.

piper6909 05-08-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 616699)
In around 2001 my job entailed serving hospital clients. I was assigned a truck in which I carried certain technical equipment. One day, when leaving Federal Way back to Tacoma I hit the 705 to go downtown to check my PO Box.

Slight incline leading to the front of the massive post office (11th and A street). I park my truck out front on the one way street... go in to check my mail... and return to find my truck gone. Stolen? Keys were in my pocket.

So I'm thinking, "I'm facked. Truck gone... equipment gone... I've some explaining to do."

I start thinking that could have happened when I look down the block and around the corner of another street where I see the front end of the truck sticking out. I'm like, "WTF? Is someone facking with me?".

So I walk the, literally, block towards my truck to see who is messing with me. Get to the truck: No one.

I look inside and find that the transmission (manual) was in neutral and the emergency brake wasn't on. It was then I figured out that as I was walking away from the truck it started rolling down hill... rolled a block... did a 90 degree turn rolling backwards... and parked itself behind the stop sign. It looked like it had been parked.

Scared the shat out of me... and you can bet I've employed the very methods Pipe recommends.

WOW! What a story! I'd have shat my pants! Did you play the lotto after that? :cheers: