986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Looking to purchase my first Porsche (01 Boxster S) (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76931)

Jeovanni223 01-01-2020 10:37 AM

Looking to purchase my first Porsche (01 Boxster S)

Hey everyone, so I found a 01 986 S with 66k for $9,100 and it’s super clean and drives amazing. I never owned a vehicle in the class and my concerns are the repair cost from common issues such as the IMS replacement. My question is should I get an extended warranty plan or is there even any companies out there that are worth the investment. I read so many mixed reviews 🤷🏽****♂️ Any help would really be appreciated. I feel in love with this car after test driving it. I’m just nervous with all the mixed IMS reviews as well. Thanks!

JFP in PA 01-01-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeovanni223 (Post 609181)
Hey everyone, so I found a 01 986 S with 66k for $9,100 and it’s super clean and drives amazing. I never owned a vehicle in the class and my concerns are the repair cost from common issues such as the IMS replacement. My question is should I get an extended warranty plan or is there even any companies out there that are worth the investment. I read so many mixed reviews 🤷🏽****♂️ Any help would really be appreciated. I feel in love with this car after test driving it. I’m just nervous with all the mixed IMS reviews as well. Thanks!

Just buy a well known IMS retrofit with the largest installed base of successful retrofits still on the road and you will be fine. This is one area where price should not be the determining factor in your choice.

maytag 01-01-2020 12:30 PM

I've never seen an aftermarket warranty that was worth the money spent on it. Pay particular attention to their "lifetime payout", and their "per incident payout". You'll find that won't go far on a Porsche.

In my opinion, if you plan to pay someone else to work on it, don't buy a 20 yr old Porsche.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Ciao 01-01-2020 01:20 PM

Either install an IMS retrofit or don't worry about it. There is no validated result of when an IMS failure occurs. Just change oil at regular intervals with correct oil.

Jeovanni223 01-01-2020 02:46 PM

Thanks everyone! I been leaning towards just handling that way. I feel like I’m getting a good deal on the car in general so if I have to replace it it won’t be that bad of an investment for the piece of mind.

Nine8Six 01-01-2020 02:59 PM

Good FUD! Its one of those thing friend... when you stab the key in the ignition and start that car the last thing you think of is some freak bearing or whatever bolts. Dunno about others but I worry 100X more about my tire pressure or running out of petrol instead of some fantasy failures lol

Just buy the thing if you can afford it and work it out, and off you go really. Have fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 609190)
In my opinion, if you plan to pay someone else to work on it, don't buy a 20 yr old Porsche.

^ +1

nicecar 01-01-2020 03:32 PM

Do the ims when you change the clutch. No such thing as a good deal on a
porsche. Maytag is right about paying others....buckle up. Again, cheap to buy expensive to own if not a diy mechanic or a detailer.These arent car wash cars. Best car I own and I own 7 nice cars 2 Porsche. Take note of the IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT in the previous post.

hopluu 02-03-2020 02:11 PM

I’m in the same boat, just bought 1999 Boxster with only 57500 miles and wandered about ims bearing issue.