Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

new key remotes lose programming

hello everyone
i have a 2001 boxster; now with 128K miles and runs great; detailed service records going back to 45Kmiles/12 years;
i purchased the boxster in november 2018, garaged all winter and in may 2019, i had the notorious IMS bearing replaced although at 105K miles there were no symptoms; i was going to be driving west coast to east coast and wanted to ensure no issues;
i also purchased 2 new key fob remote components, had them programmed and all was fine
after 3 months one of the remotes lost programming
upon returning to the west coast this month from maine, i asked the dealer to check the defective key remote when i had the minor service
the net result was that the good working remote was rendered non functioning during the attempt to resolve the other remote
so now i have 2 x $300 keys (remote+programming) that only start the engine and open the door manually
sorry for the long winded story.........i have searched and read many posts on how to reprogram, etc., however, none work for my keys;
anyone have any thoughts on #1-reason for lost programming after such a short period of time; #2 are the remotes covered by any warranty? $200/ 3 months from new and now bad; #3 why a working remote would end up defective while attempting to reprogram a 2nd key? #4 are not each key remote assigned a unique identifier for programming?
thanks for any suggestions
i am currently in the somis/carrillo california area

puravidabahia is offline   Reply With Quote