Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

Garage
Hi, I'm new here

I recently had my first crash on my motorcycle (I'm 66 & been riding since I was 17). So my family convinced me to sell the bike and buy a sports car that I've always wanted. That's were you fine Porsche folks come in.
In speaking with a friend he told me about this site, so here I am.
I've learned a little about asking about the IMS bearing, but that's about it. My budget isn't very large, that's why I'm looking at Boxsters.
So, here'e the open question...what should I be looking at? Besides the IMS issue(s) are there other things just as important that I should be asking about when I think that I found something that I like?
I know this is asking a lot, but I can't afford to make a mistake because I don't have the funds to fix them.
Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for welcoming me into the group. I'm looking forward to an exciting new group of friends.
By the way, I'm originally from Pittsburgh (go Steelers), but have been living in Long Island New York for the past 30 years. We really are a "Long Island" and my village is Huntington. It's about 45 miles east of Manhattan.
cheers,
Jack

jackschumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

Garage
Just read all you can on this forum & use the search function for any specific concerns. This forum is over 10 years old so most everything has been covered before.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Jack ..

I'm 71 (btw .. gave up motorcycles in my early 30's for something safer - flying) and just went thru the process choosing a boxster.

Not sure my experience is one to follow but I'll outline it (I'm certain there are many more who will add valuable information/onsight) .. (note the opinions below are my own and personal) ..

1 - set an initial budget to include both car purchase (and assorted fees) plus repairs needed up front .. I found a basic correlation for any specific model - lower the price higher the initial maintenance/repair cost
2 - familiarize yourself with generations ..
a - '97 - '99 - all dual row IMS shaft bearing with less probability of failure/all 2.5 l engine /snappy responsive fun but not overwhelming power (I'd steer clear of '97 as no side airbags)
b - 00-04/5 - IMS bearing problem to be aware of /more options available/ 2.7 l base and 3.2 l S (some carryover in 2000 of 2.5 l)/good refinements and more powerful while losing tinge of driveability
c - '05/6 - '08 - to me, rather like the original Mustang growing abit more comfortable but at the expense of that 'feeling'/ radical change in IMS inside block late
d - '09 - '12 - a definite change towards a touring car with comfort options/ IMS problem designed out/ PDK transmission/ 2.9 l base and 3.4 l S

I would definitely get a listing of factory option available by year and changes (many available on internet) and test drive extensively starting with '98- '99 2.5l to see what 'feel' captures you .. each group and engine option while checking the available options that can enhance you ride (ie. stability control, sport suspension, power/heated seats/litronic head lights etc) - AND I would make my test drives at a dealership - even potentially at a specialty dealer who has several different boxsters in inventory.

3 - approx year and options decided (remembering it's usually better/cheaper to get the options you want ON the car and not retrofit) .. shop for it. I used Craigslist, cars.com, cargurus, autotrader as well as pca website. By the time I was ACTIVELY shopping I knew what I wanted .. specifically (including color/s)

4 - PrePurchaseInspection I believe is mandatory as the sins of the past are sometimes well hidden (at ~$300 can get expensive if you don't prequalify well)

a few other points ..

only ~you~ know how much you will wrench on it .. be realistic when determining repairs/maintenance ..

btw - I thought I'd never by from a dealership but .. I found just the boxster that checked all my buttons .. paid perhaps abit more than I should have but .. .. it is in excellent condition

Good luck .. enjoy the ride .. it's a fun process that took me 6 months to complete and well worth every hour I spent ..

~and~ don't be afraid to ask questions here .. the knowledge and experience found is outstanding

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #4

Garage
1. Get Porche tools
2. Get literature (1) 101 Porche Projects from Pelican (2) Porche Manual and familiarize yourself with basic maintenance; most is easy on Boxsters
3. Depending on miles, how well it was taken care, and year of Boxster will determine how much use use 1 and 2 above.

4. Just do it! You will enjoy a Boxster, they are cheap and fun to drive.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #5

Garage
Hi, what do you mean by: radical change in IMS inside block late

cheers,
Jack
jackschumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschumann View Post
Hi, what do you mean by: radical change in IMS inside block late

cheers,
Jack
I don't know what he meant by "inside block late" but those model years have a large IMS bearing that you'd need to split the block to get to, if you want to replace it. I guess that's a radical change. Although a company makes a tool to bore the opening to get the bearing out without opening the block. Most argue that replacement is not necessary because the bigger bearing has a much much lower failure rate.

You'll find as many opinions as there are people on here on this matter. Do your homework, get as much info as you can and make a decision that makes you comfortable.

FWIW, I opted NOT to change mine, and I have a 2002, which has the highest failure rate. (about 10-15%) I have a Tiprtonic. If I had a manual, I probably would have changed it if and when I would have to change the clutch. Since I currently have no reason to pull the tranny, and the relatively low cost of a replacement motor, if it should fail, I figured the cost to benefit ratio was too low for me. I hope I didn't jinx myself haha!

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-08-2020 at 06:25 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #7

I went through the buying process a lot differently, not better, just differently. My son's neighbor was selling his 2000S, I drove it, loved the driving experience but didn't like the color (black) and didn't like the way it appeared it had been maintained (scuffs in leather, scratches all over the car, etc.) so I thought I'd look around.

I saw a private sale on cars.com for a very low mileage (10,500) silver 2000S at about the same price as the black one I had driven. Drove two hours to see it. It looked like it had been sitting in a bubble for 14 years, taken out only to wash and wax. Looking at the garage, landscaping and house, I could tell that the owner was an obsessive maintainer. Had all the service records and discovered it had been maintained by the book at the dealer. He was asking the same price as the black one I had driven and found later that that price was above the asking price for the car at the time.

I bought it on the spot - no PPI.

I don't wrench on it or anything else but I've been taking it to a good indie to do whatever it needs to continue keeping in good stead.

Now with 40,000 miles over the past five years, aside from regular annual service, I had to replace the cv boots. I plan to do the IMS when it needs a clutch.

In 20 days I take it out of storage and can't wait. No regrets for overpaying a little because the car was, and remains, perfect and full of joy.

I will turn 80 this summer, the car will be 20. I intend to keep driving it as long as I can continue to get in and out of it (so far no problems!). I love driving it as my daily driver for seven months a year - top down / driving it as it was designed to be driven.

Good luck with your quest and hope you find the perfect Boxster.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote