Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 04:07 AM   #1

New member dreaming of a boxster in Norway

Hi all,
I want to buy a boxster within the next couple of years. I live in Norway where they are expensive by USA standards.
I could buy a '97-2000 boxster right now but I want to save up for at least a '03.
Most boxsters here do not get driven in winter but some still have quite a few kms on them.
What do you guys think about age versus kms and price?
All things being equal is it better to buy a newer car with more kms on it, or an older car with less kms for the same price?
Is it really worth that much more for a "S"?
For example a 2008 base model with 70,000 kms compared to a 2004 S with 132,000kms for $700 more?
I have time to look for the car that suits me best. It will be a car I will be keeping for many, many years.
Looking forward until the day I have a boxster in my possession.

MarkSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #2

Garage
You will get as many opinions as responses! My preference is:

The newer the better.

S better than 2.7 better than 2.5.

Km not nearly important as maintenance. My 180 000 km 2004 S runs like new. Uses no oil. Everything works. A car with several non-working items is an indication that it hasn't been properly maintained.

Have an expert go thoroughly through the car before buying it.

Good luck!
Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #3

In agreement with Anker.
In addition - try as many as you can come over - both S and base - and it will become apparent what is right for you. Make a spreadsheet with all info you can gather - a great tool for comparison. I did and ended with my 2003 S 5 years ago. The most expensive one of all that I tried!
My S is now at 186000 km and is running better than ever.
But of course you should expect wear and tear at that mileage and parts will eventually need replacement.
So buy the best one you can find but keep a little reserve for the rainy day that will come at some point when something needs to get replaced - like my exhaust the other day. Positive side of course is you then have the option to upgrade!
Another little advice - go for plenty of factory options!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 AM   #4

Garage
Most will say newest with least miles with good service history. Come to think of it that goes for any used car.
Is the 'S' worth it, well that's in the "...What kinda oil should I use..." debate
The 'S' does command a bit more value only because there are solid option upgrades that go with it, motor, bigger brakes, suspension, trim.
Biggest thing to consider is the cost to care for these cars. Buying price is only the beginning. If your a good DIYer and have a place to do it then that expands your options.
My thought, if I was doing this in a couple years, go 2009+ with no IMSB. That models base is equivalent to my 986's S hp numbers. That car in 2020 will be 11 years old

Keep us in the loop and enjoy the shopping
Old 08-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #5

Thanks for your time and replies, I appreciate it.
To be honest I have thought the same things that you guys have suggested already.
I will use the time to try to drive as many as I can even though I feel a bit guilty because I can't really afford one right now.
The problem here is that the nearest boxster for sale is a 4 hr drive and the furthest is over 12 hrs.
I don't know if I will be able to afford a boxster as young as 2009, I will be struggling a bit to get a 2005, but in a couple of years who knows?
I will continue to research and lurk the forums.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply

MarkSin is offline   Reply With Quote