Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Hello! I have just joined your ranks.

Hi all,
I'm new here. I just picked up a 2001 Boxster S in remarkably good shape this fall for a really good deal after reading reviews of them for years and watching prices fall until I couldn't not get one. The kicker was when my brother brought one down for me to drive, and from about 3 minutes into the drive, I knew I was hooked - I liked it even better than the only other Porsche I'd driven, a 1987 911 (blasphemy, I know).
I've had a lot of other German cars in the past, starting with my first car, a 1983 Quantum GL-5 Wagon, then A1 GTI's, Sciroccos, GLI's, etc in my youth, then moving to various 5-cyl cars - QSW, 5kcstqa's, and then a really fun stroked-to-2.5L and more-than-RS2'ed UrS6A that I still regret selling. But I'd never had a real sports car, and I've been in the market for a few years now and couldn't be happier with my choice of this one.
It's had the LME IMS upgrade recently, and new clutch and motor/trans mounts and a bunch of other maintenance, which is nice. I had to do the rear trailing arms/suspension track arm/whatever-you-wanna-call-'ems but those were cake. So far, I'm very impressed with the ease of working on this car, in general (and so is my brother who maintains one for a customer). I also had the top replaced with the one with glass because the original plastic one had had it, but what do you expect when buying a convertible? Other than that it's been great - I found it some snow tires and wheels on Craigslist and I drive it whenever it isn't salty and I don't need to carry too much, and I probably derive more pleasure from it than I ever have from any other possession other than perhaps a musical instrument or two. It's better in the snow than my Speed3 or my truck and is amazingly livable day-to-day and I've nicknamed the "PSM Off" button the "fun" button. It has a couple of very minor issues I'll post about elsewhere, but I'm so glad to be here!
I haven't had a chance to take any really good photos yet, but here she is in fresh snow with her winter boots on.
Sincerely,
-Josiah

wmjosiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

Here she is in slightly better weather with the summers on:
Old 02-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #3

And, last pic, better weather for a minute, the day I bought her (the day after my birthday - best birthday present to myself ever):
Old 02-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome!
Great looking car, glad to have another member that isn't afraid of driving in the snow!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #5

Thanks! That was one of the deciding factors for me - I don't want a car I can only drive half the year I waited my whole life for this - I'm going to drive it as much as possible!