Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 12:19 AM   #1

Got a 99 boxster last June.

Hi 986 enthusiast! I bought this 99 boxster from a previous co-owner porsche shop. Last year a customer can't afford spending so much money for a transmission rebuild. So the previous owner (co-owner of the porsche shop) bought it for his personal toy last August 2016 and spent more than $4k just for parts (including newly rebuilt transmission from a reputable shop), no labor spent since it is from his shop. Part of the repair or parts replaced was the IMS (from LN Engineering) although the dual row bearing was still in very good shape but since transmission is out, he decided just to change it.
All worked done between July (when still owned by shop client) and Sept. 2016.
And last June 2017, the seller decided to move to a smaller house and ended up selling it. So I was able to buy it from him. I had atleast 6 914s since 2011 when I 1st got a 75 1.8FI and then buying more since then. Last year there is month that I had 4 914s on my driveway and sold them one by one when I needed some cash. Last June 2017, I decided to sell my 1st 914 and have to replace it with less than the price of my 75 914. And the replacement is this watercooled boxster. I do missed my toy, even my family missed our 75 914. But this boxster is better since my wife likes driving it.

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #2
Luckyed

Garage
You let your wife drive the Porsche??
Just kidding.....welcome to the forum.
Nice looking car. Great color.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Yes sir! happy wife happy life!
She didn't drove any of the 914s I had but she was okay even she can't park her car to the garage especially that there is an instance we had 4 914s on the driveway and she is not complaining. What more if wife can drive our toy, I'm sure more support and patience they can give us. Hehehe
Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Administrator

Congrats!! Looks really great.
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 AM   #5

Hello I'm a new member and I also a new owner of 1999 Boxster (1st time owner of Porsche) Silver w/red interior just picked it up two weeks ago from private owner he purchased it new/ had the original window sticker and all service records from Porsche dealer. A 24K miles "garage queen" I did some research on the Boxster's prior and learned about the IMS issues but was understanding this was an issue for the MY2000-2006 with single row bearings. So I had a PPI done and it came up clean. Then as I read more I see that this can also be an issue for the MY1997-99 "garage queens" because letting the car sit is not a good thing. I'm loving the car and the way it handles but I'm concerned about the stories I read of the IMS failures. Think I'll eventually have the bearing changed out before any real damage happens to the motor. Great looking cars guys, You guys enjoy the ride!!
jsmedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #6

Personally, wanted a 914 forever though technically, it really isn't a Porsche. Volkswagen engine and chassis, still a great car. Still own an original service manual for the 914... Have a 2001 Boxster S now, metallic black, full leather interior, 3.2l engine, 6 speed manual trans. Love the color on yours. Black is cool but shows dirt so badly... Nearly bought a guards red 2003 but the seller dragged his heals so long, when the 2001 came available I was there.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmedley View Post
Hello I'm a new member and I also a new owner of 1999 Boxster (1st time owner of Porsche) Silver w/red interior just picked it up two weeks ago from private owner he purchased it new/ had the original window sticker and all service records from Porsche dealer. A 24K miles "garage queen" I did some research on the Boxster's prior and learned about the IMS issues but was understanding this was an issue for the MY2000-2006 with single row bearings. So I had a PPI done and it came up clean. Then as I read more I see that this can also be an issue for the MY1997-99 "garage queens" because letting the car sit is not a good thing. I'm loving the car and the way it handles but I'm concerned about the stories I read of the IMS failures. Think I'll eventually have the bearing changed out before any real damage happens to the motor. Great looking cars guys, You guys enjoy the ride!!
We've got a lot of info about the IMS Bearing that you can read up on here: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-06).
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #8

hi jsmedley, since the car has a very low mileage, I suggest that you do a 3k miles change oil for a few times and drive it regularly. check oil and filter of any sign of metal pieces. The issue with dual row bearing they said is only 1% compare to single row that has higher percentage that damage the engine by failed IMS bearing. But if you can afford replacing it, much as well do it now to give u peace.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Talking

Thanks for the input. I plan to do oil changes 2.500 miles and install a magnetic oil plug check filter for fragments and enjoy the car otherwise. Come what may and I'll cross the bridge when I get there (if I get there) It's a great ride handles like a charm. Love the car

jsmedley is offline   Reply With Quote