Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Brighton Boxster

Garage
2003 Boxster S replaces 1998 Jaguar XK8

I promised my wife that I would not buy a Porsche without first selling the Jaguar, unlike when I bought the Jag before selling the BMW convertible - resulting in four cars on the property. However it was love at first drive when I sampled this one via a spirited test drive, so I left a deposit cheque and hurried home to sell the Jag that evening. The Porsche needs a few small dents repaired by a Dent Doctor, some minor scratches touched up, and a new windshield would be nice as there are two stone chips plus some general sand-blasting. The car's first ten years were in Texas and NC, followed by two summers in Ontario, Canada. Total 102,500 miles on it when I purchased it with new brakes and tires as of last summer. Overall condition quite good. Not too many options, but does include Tiptronic 5 speed and Litronic headlights. Colour is Arctic Silver, with a black top and black leather inside.

BrightonBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

Garage
Good looking car! Did you get a PPI? If so, anything need immediate attention? Welcome to the forums. You can find a wealth of knowledge here!
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Brighton Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboxs View Post
Good looking car! Did you get a PPI? If so, anything need immediate attention? Welcome to the forums. You can find a wealth of knowledge here!
No, I did not get a PPI as I had to drive 230 KM to see the car, so I trusted my own judgment and luck. I have had exceedingly good luck on past purchases of 1999 BMW 328i convertible, 1993 Miata, then 2003 Miata, 1998 Jaguar XK8 convertible, so I hope my run continues. I know how expen$ive Porsche parts are, and I know about the IMS and RMS issues. I inspected the underside of the car and it is clean and dry with no trace of any oil leaks.
BrightonBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

Smile 2003 Porsche Boxster S

Welcome to the Forum..Congratulations !
I'm sure you trusted your experience, test drive, visual checks and overall gut feel for the overall health of the car..
Now, as you mentioned it's time to prioritize each issue or concern you have. You are in the right place for information and tips to get the best out of your Boxster.
Keep us updated on your progress, for the meantime enjoy your ride!

t2
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Porsche vs Jag

Congratulations, nice car. I have a 2003 S 6 speed I am very happy with. When I bought it I was considering a 2001 Jag XKR Silverstone convertible vs the Porsche and I was very close but ultimately the Boxster won out.

Way more fun to drive and although both require $$$ in upkeep I think the Porsche is a better made vehicle and a true sports car.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
Brighton Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Congratulations, nice car. I have a 2003 S 6 speed I am very happy with. When I bought it I was considering a 2001 Jag XKR Silverstone convertible vs the Porsche and I was very close but ultimately the Boxster won out.

Way more fun to drive and although both require $$$ in upkeep I think the Porsche is a better made vehicle and a true sports car.
The XKR is much more car than the XK8. Both are supremely comfortable and luxurious. I felt that I could spend all day in my Jaguar. But, having scratched that itch and enjoying the Jag for two summers with no problems whatsoever (I had spent 1000 in preventive maintenance as soon as I got it) I felt that it was time for a change to something more sporting while I am still young (75) enough to be able to enjoy it. Fifty years ago I was rallying a modified Morgan 4/4 in Germany while there with the army. The Boxster handling brings back memories of that time.
David