986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Buying a New S --- if you were me...... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5527)

Rondog 03-27-2006 07:48 PM

Buying a New S --- if you were me......

I am in the enviable position of buying a new Boxster S..... I've decided to go with Tiptronic as it better suits how i will use the car. Honestly, i'll have to stretch for the car so i really cannot fully load the car..... so if you were me..... what is essential???

Probably....as important...I am in Orange Co. -- there are a number of dealers i could buy from.....Any consensus on who's the best? My only visit has been to Newport Auto-- and while extremely helpful and knowledgable, i can't help wondering if they might be the most pricey.

Finally, any coaching on getting the best deal? I prefer to buy it outright but would lease it if theirs a good argument to do so.

Rondog in Newport

Brucelee 03-28-2006 06:24 AM

Tons of questions. Let me suggest you work with the search function for awhile as most have been covered extensively.

Then come back and ask whatever has not been covered.

Best of luck!

SD987 03-28-2006 09:01 AM

I am in the enviable position of buying a new Boxster S..... Honestly, i'll have to stretch for the car

I'm not sure that the first statement really matches the second one but obviously what you do with your money is your concern. If you're "stretching" just don't forget a few particulars in advance.

- Check the impact of adding a 987S to your insurance policy, it's going to be more than a base. If you're planning on leasing, you may need to up your current coverages if they are sub-standard

- I don't know what you drive now, but be prepared to gas up with premium....frequently

- Get pricing now on your 20K and 40K intervals brake replacement and replacement tires, these will be your out of pocket maintenance costs and none of them are "cheap". If you're going to get 19s make sure you know what 19s cost and the difficulty that can be encountered sourcing them. You don't want any surprises down the line.

- See what interest rate your credit can get you ahead of time. Dealer-financing isn't always the best, for example a 780 FICO score would only get you mid single digits from Mercedes Benz credit. You may want to try Lendingtree.com or similar. Knowing exactly what you're approved for, what you'll be paying and walking in with a "check" will clear your mind and improve your position.

My only visit has been to Newport Auto-- and while extremely helpful and knowledgable, i can't help wondering if they might be the most pricey.

With today's educated consumer, I think the notion that dealers in good neighborhoods are more pricey is a bit of a fallacy, particularly in Southern California where you could find people with money in a 25 mile radius of pretty much anywhere.

As far optioning goes, you're crossing yourself by looking to get a S with a Tip. It's very hard to find a Tip that hasn't been bundled with Preferred Package or Preferred Package plus which are just shy of 5k and 8k respectively. Within 50 miles of you, there's 1.

http://hoehn.porschedealer.com/new_cars/info.php?inventoryid=217285

When you close the deal and sign the line that is dotted do NOT purchase dealer extras like Lojack, paint plating, etc. DO purchase the 'gap' insurance which covers the difference between what you owe and what the car's worth in the event of a total loss.

Good luck.

smith12895 03-28-2006 09:11 AM

I just bought from Circle Porsche in Long Beach

I just bought my boxster from Circle Porsche in Long Beach. I had a really great buying experience. You might try tem out and see what they can do for you.

RandallNeighbour 03-28-2006 09:25 AM

Smith, that is one fine looking car. I am a 3x black boxster fan in the biggest way. Sure wish it was in my garage sans the payments! When I grow up I'm gonna drive me one just like yours... but I must upgrade to an S. No exceptions.

Until then, please take it out and drive it like you stole it. I'd really appreciate that. When you get it up to speed—whatever that means to you—shout, "Randall, can you hear my engine and exhaust? This run's for you, buddy!" Don't worry. I'll be there in spirit with you. May the G force be with you.

Ron- do search the threads. Rather quickly though, if I were you I'd be buying Bose with windstop, Sport Chrono package (not for the thingy on the dash, but how it improves performance) and litronics.

Rondog 03-28-2006 10:18 AM

Thank you boyz....

Such a knowledgable group.... i appreciate all your input.

I especially appreicate the fact you didn't flame me with such wide open general questions....

SD987--- great things to consider.....obviously cost of ownership will be way higher than my E320....

Look forward to getting to know you guys better!
RD

Rondog 03-28-2006 10:52 AM

Thank you boyz....

Such a knowledgable group.... i appreciate all your input.

I especially appreicate the fact you didn't flame me with such wide open general questions....

SD987--- great things to consider.....obviously cost of ownership will be way higher than my E320....

Look forward to getting to know you guys better!
RD

smith12895 03-28-2006 12:04 PM

Wish it was an S too

I wish it was an S too... but to get the S with everthing I wanted was too much. Plus it is my first porsche and I wanted to start out slow... got to have something to look foward to ha ha

ljd-924se 03-28-2006 12:32 PM

Why not consider a slightly used '05 S and be able to afford more options for less money? There are tons of great examples out there.

smith12895 03-28-2006 03:42 PM

Slightly used

Mine was "slightly" used. Went in to look at a used '03 S and fell in love with this '05. Only had 2900 miles on it and all the options I wanted (PASM, 6 speed, 19" wheels, Bose, bi-zenon, Heated seats...) I personally prefered the '05 base over the '03 S. I know I'm missing out on the extra torque of the larger engine.... but, DAMN I LOVE THE '05!

RandallNeighbour 03-28-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith12895
Plus it is my first porsche and I wanted to start out slow...

Yeah, go slow... That's sound logic for a PORSCHE buyer! Doh! :cheers:

I bought mine to go fast, which I just did on Saturday. Man, I sure do want to post how fast I drove, but I must stay on Richard's good side as I want to buy a used Box S from him one day and doggonit, I'm not paying more than I should just because I pissed him off way back when with my posting of top speeds on public roads!

:dance:

smith12895 03-28-2006 04:55 PM

You mean a porsche is ment to be driven fast? Even through the canyons in malibu? Tell me your joking! ;)

drburton 04-11-2006 11:44 AM

Keep your eyes open for a low mileage used. I was looking at a new 2006 Boxster with limited options and it was coming in around $48K. In order to get the color etc.. I wanted, they were going to order it. Before I pulled the trigger I looked around and happened to find a 2005 Boxster S with only 300 miles on it - at a Chrysler dealer. The Boxster S was loaded with options and I bought it for $51K, would have been around $60K new. I would consider myself lucky to find that car, but keep your eyes open for low mileage used, you will get a much better deal.

mach schnell 04-11-2006 04:20 PM

at the risk of setting of debate (which is not my intent - no sarcasm), but bottomline essential, I think, in any performance car, no matter what other equipment you add or purchase to make it more enjoyable or noticeable - is a freaking Manual Transmission!!!!!!!! Buy a Mercedes or Bmw or damn Bonneville if you want something to toot around in traffic or whatever bulls%$^! Although I know at the very root, Porsche began offering automatic transmission to increase the selling potential to all the farts with $$$ who couldn't drive fast (and sensible) if their lives depended upon it or for their trophy wives, etc - but it sadly speaks a bit of sell out!

Porsche and automatic or tiptronic or blah blah blah shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Honestly, the umpteenth time you sit in traffic with your boxster you make think, 'self, why did I buy a manual transmission?', but every minute of windy asphalt or open road, you'll re-cant and sing, "how could I ever have imagined an autotragic transmission?!?! - WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!"

Rail26 04-11-2006 06:30 PM

I'm Johnny Walker Red...DOOO IT!

jamesatfish 05-03-2006 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondog
I am in the enviable position of buying a new Boxster S..... I've decided to go with Tiptronic as it better suits how i will use the car. Honestly, i'll have to stretch for the car so i really cannot fully load the car..... so if you were me..... what is essential???

Obviously this is a very subjective question, but as for what I'd consider essential (and I'm basing this on the options available for the Australian-spec 986, which is what I've got, so apologies if some of these are standard in a US-spec 987):

1. Heated Seats

I don't know what the climate is where you are from, but in my part of the world 6 months of the year is fairly dry but quite cold. Heated Seats, whilst they sound a bit unnecessary, mean that for those months I can keep driving with the roof down without needing to run the heater at maximum just to stay warm.

2. Memory Seats (fully electric)

How useful these are depends on if you are the main driver or if you share your car with someone else. My Boxster S is shared about 50/50 between my wife and I, and having the seat & mirrors automatically moved to the right spot when you unlock the car is a great convenience.

3. PSM (though I think it's standard now on the 987 S?)

Probably prevented a 996 I was a passenger in running off the road when a fellow road-user decided to swerve into our lane around a fairly high-speed corner in the wet. Forget the panel damage that was avoided - that option pretty much saved 4 lives.

From there I would consider anything else a bonus - with $$$ left to spend I'd look at one of the hifi upgrades and/or the PCM with SatNav.

If you are really finding it hard to choose between certain options, check with your dealer as to what options are also available as Tequipment. Things like Litronics, PCM, interior trim, aerokits and wheels are all available from Porsche to be fitted down the track, where as transmission, PASM, SportChrono, memory seats etc can only be installed when the car is built. This gives you the ability to add options as money allows or if you find you really should have sprung for the 19"s.

James

KRZTACO 05-03-2006 08:58 AM

A Must Have...

Litronic Headlights are a must. You'll kick yourself for not spending the extra 3 dollars a month to the payment.

KRZ

RandallNeighbour 05-03-2006 10:28 AM

If I were buying a new 987S today, I'd order it with these "musts":

Litronics (I love mine and think they're totally cool)
Sport Chrono (for what it does to the car, not the stupid stop watch)
Bose with windstop (this is not a bad factory system one can live with for a long time)
Heated Seats (Adds another month or more to driving the car each year)
Floormats (what the heck, who'd buy a Porsche and skimp on the floormats?)

Stuff like seat memory, ceramic brakes, 19's, a full leather interior and other goodies just don't do anything for me although they might be huge for others.

However, I don't have $60k to do this, so it's just a pipe dream! One day though, I'm gonna walk into a dealership and order me a brand new Porsche just the way I want it and take European delivery. Spending a month in Germany (to get enough miles on the car to move through the break in period) ripping up the autobahns and driving the Nurburgring sounds like the most fun a guy could have with his clothes on!

bmussatti 05-03-2006 12:27 PM

Rondog, you may want to wait a few months. The 2007's should be out in August/September and they may have more HP's than the 05 & 06's. Just a thought.

98Boxster98 05-03-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Rondog, you may want to wait a few months. The 2007's should be out in August/September and they may have more HP's than the 05 & 06's. Just a thought.

Perhaps, bmussatti, you missed Rondog's new ride.

http://986forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44140&postcount=1