986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   About to buy 1st Boxster -- need opinions (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3119)

SoCal 06-10-2005 07:06 AM

About to buy 1st Boxster -- need opinions

Searched the web for info and I found this great site. I'm about to buy my first Boxster and would appreciate your thoughts.

(1) IMO, the 18-inch Boxster S wheels look better than the 17-inch wheels. How noticeable is the difference in handling and ride comfort (feeling the bumps)?

(2) I don't like the look of the plastic wind deflector. How much does it help with wind and noise reduction?

(3) Anybody get the Power Seat Package? My wife will want to drive the car too, and it might be nice to have two seat positions in memory.

(4) I see an option called Automatic Climate Control. What does this option add to the standard air conditioning?

(5) Any other words of wisdom for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.

Brucelee 06-10-2005 07:19 AM

My opinions are as follows:

1. Get the 18" wheels. Difference in comfort mimimal, looks much better and improves handling

2. I don't find the the WD very useful and it rattles.

3. Power seat package is a great option and helps resale value also.

4. Not sure on this one. Every Box I buy has the auto climate control and have never seen a manual heat system.

5. For resale purposes, I would:

Buy an S.

Stay with basic colors such as silver, black, dark blue.

Do not go crazy on aftermarket mods.

Maintaine your car after purchase.

Enjoy the pleasure of driving the Box.

Thanks for joining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal
Searched the web for info and I found this great site. I'm about to buy my first Boxster and would appreciate your thoughts.

(1) IMO, the 18-inch Boxster S wheels look better than the 17-inch wheels. How noticeable is the difference in handling and ride comfort (feeling the bumps)?

(2) I don't like the look of the plastic wind deflector. How much does it help with wind and noise reduction?

(3) Anybody get the Power Seat Package? My wife will want to drive the car too, and it might be nice to have two seat positions in memory.

(4) I see an option called Automatic Climate Control. What does this option add to the standard air conditioning?

(5) Any other words of wisdom for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.

dennizxxx 06-10-2005 07:42 AM

I actually have very positive results about the Wind Deflector, mine does not rattle and I have taken it off to test what the difference would be driving with the top down...and in my opinion I did find it more comfortable with the WInd Deflector, especially at higher speeds...

eslai 06-10-2005 07:48 AM

I haven't tried removing my wind deflector yet, so I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes, BUT I can attest that I've never heard it rattle, even up to 115 MPH.

My car doesn't have the automatic climate control and I'm fine without it... or so I think.

My word of advice follows in line with what others told me when I was deciding on options: Buy AS MANY as you can NOW because they'll be much more expensive to add later! There's a lot of options that I'm kind of bummed I didn't get now. Too bad!

Perfectlap 06-10-2005 08:07 AM

1) get the big wheels, they are expensive to buy afterwards. My Carrera 5 spokes with the Boxster fit were nearly $500 a piece. Add another $1000 for the right tires (the most important mod).
2)If you are into playing your stereo with the top down the wind deflector is a must have. The sound system in my car (6 OEM speakers and 4 chanell amp) is the best top down STOCK experience I've ever experienced in any car (by a mile)
3) I have GT3 Seats your wife will LOVE those much better :D
4)its very cool.
5) If buying used get an S, get at least a 2000, and try and get as many options as possible because they are very expensive to get afterwards. With other cars I think its the other way around. Low mileage is crucial.
If buying new I would encourage you to buy used. A 2nd hand Boxster is the best deal in sportscars.

PSP 06-10-2005 08:54 AM

......(and not to sound like a scratched CD, but) make sure that you get more than one key. They are only available from the dealer, must be programmed by the dealer, and are OMG expensive - well over $100 PER KEY.

Make sure you get the manual - another relatively expensive afterthought for many of us.

Make sure you get the radio code. If you have to disconnect the battery for any reason, the factory radio will not work unless a special code is entered. Each radio has a specific code that will only work on that specific radio. It is available from the dealer, but you don't need the aggravation.

....not to mention a glass window convertible top is much nicer if you like to drive with the top down. Much more convenient than the plastic window.

RandallNeighbour 06-10-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP
well over $100 PER KEY.

Um, how about $245? My price is more accurate. Call your dealer's service department to verify.

Porsche. There is no substitute... well, you can substitute your hard earned cash for little bits and pieces of the car you need replaced!

PSP 06-10-2005 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Um, how about $245? My price is more accurate. Call your dealer's service department to verify.

OK, so that's WELL over $100 :eek:

I couldn't remember how much I paid, although I remember it was outrageous....

RandallNeighbour 06-10-2005 11:24 AM

Thank God that humans tend to allow bad memories to fade.

My little manila file folder for the 97 Boxster is now 1 inch thick in repair tickets and reciepts from the parts counter to get it running true, straight and smooth.

The wife paid for the extra key though—she wanted one of her own, not that she'd ever drive it, but it makes her feel good.

"A happy wife is a happy life"

Let us husbands never forget these wise words.

Brucelee 06-10-2005 12:44 PM

"A happy wife is a happy life"

Let us husbands never forget these wise words."

Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eslai 06-10-2005 01:33 PM

Heh, you guys just reminded me of this song:

http://www.theromantic.com/lovesongs/ifyouwannabehappy.htm

"If you wanna be happy
For the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife,
So from my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you."

:D

Ronzi 06-10-2005 01:46 PM

I think the wind stop/deflector is a definate plus. Open cars without one allow the wind to curl back, actually blowing forward towards the windshield. That is what the wind stop stops. No rattles from that, but the two little grates in the roll hoops do rattle some. Fixable with some padding on the clips, others have said.

SoCal 06-11-2005 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I'll have to test drive with and without a wind deflector at different speeds. And I'll be sure to get the radio code and spare keys.

How many keys is the Boxster supposed to come with? Other cars I've purchased have had two keys plus a valet key.

With regard to this comment:"Make sure you get the manual - another relatively expensive afterthought for many of us."

Are you talking about something other than the typical owner's manual that comes with every car? Have some dealers removed the manual and its absence wasn't noticed until later? Or are you talking about some special other manual, like with specs and diagrams for repairs?

Eslai, What particular options do you wish you had?

Brucelee 06-12-2005 05:58 AM

The Boxster comes new with 2 alarm/remote keys and a valet key. Used cars often are missing the second remote and the valet key. These are expensive as noted. Also check to see if the remote actually works. If not, don't assume it is the battery, often it is not!

The Boxster manual set includes the basic owners manual, radio manual, service/warranty schedule, and dealer locater. They also usually toss in an accessories catalog.

Often a used Box, they are ALL missing. I almost always have to go buy new ones for my customers. I normally provide the basic owners manual but often have radio and warranty spares around for my customers.

Best of luck shopping!

eslai 06-12-2005 10:09 PM

The 987 does NOT come with a valet key--which is a BIG disappointment for me. I would like to be able to lock the glove box when I leave my car with a stranger! This was my biggest complaint when I picked up the car--I was almost positive that it was impossible for the car to not have a valet key but they insisted that it did not. All I got was some stupid "wallet key" spare which is too fat for any wallet that I've ever owned.

As for which options I wished I picked up now, well I really wish I got the full leather interior--the stock dashboard is just a LITTLE bit cheaper feeling. If you never saw the full leather interior you wouldn't care though. So, my advice there is to not sit in a full-leather interior 987. :D

I also wish I picked up the nav system now, but that's not really that important.

The options I did get are:

- PASM (get it. I enjoy it more and more as time goes on)
- Bose stereo system (not that great, but I suppose it must be better than the basic or premium system)
- Xenon headlights
- Seat warmers
- Sport Chrono (I hate the stupid chrono, but the Sport button is essential)

The only options I really wish I purchased are:

- Chrome exhaust tip ($400 at the dealership, only $350 if you buy it on the car. I had NO idea how dingy the standard tailpipe would get. Very annoying. :mad: )
- Sport steering wheel (It's only $250! Just get it! I didn't even know it was available because it's in the "Interior Leather" section on the website! :mad: )

If I hadn't been trying to keep the price under $60,000, I'd have thrown on the following:

- Full-leather
- Leather-wrapped sport steering wheel
- Center console in leather
- Nav system
- CD changer

Of course, throw all of that in and you might as well start looking at 911s, if you're so inclined. :)

Just decide what's important to you, what would be nice-to-have, and then stretch your budget a little to include at least some of those nice-to-haves. It's better to do it now than later, and you don't want any regrets!

SoCal 06-13-2005 02:46 PM

All I can say

is that this is one great forum. There's nowhere else you can get this much benefit from the experience of others.

I've looked at other Porsche forums on line, and they seem to be just a lot of griping about whatever little mechanical glitch just happened. Nothing like this place.

Cheers to all of you here that came before me. :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 06-13-2005 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal
I've looked at other Porsche forums on line, and they seem to be just a lot of griping about whatever little mechanical glitch just happened. Nothing like this place.

Obviously, you have not seen or have overlooked a bunch of my posts! :)

My 97 boxster was trashed before I bought it and I've had an endless parade of "little mechanical glitches" that can easily be translated into $$$$ spent. My bad though—now I know how to buy a Boxster and unlike so many of you who are in the market and have this forum available to you, I didn't know about it back then! :o

Brucelee 06-13-2005 04:28 PM

You are both very kind. We are very proud of our members here. I agree that the attitude and aptitude of our members is second to none!

:)

madp 02-14-2006 06:44 PM

After shopping for over a month, I just purchased my first Boxster S:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay .com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fcgiurl%3Dhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fcgi.ebay.com%252Fws%252F%26fkr%3D1%26f rom%3DR8%26satitle%3D4612667637%26category0%3D%26f vi%3D1&item=4612667637#ebayphotohosting

I think I got an exceptional deal. What do you guys think?

rbennett 02-14-2006 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennizxxx
I actually have very positive results about the Wind Deflector, mine does not rattle

I agree, mine does not rattle, my wife likes it bunches and where else can you place your stickers on???