Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2024, 08:23 AM   #1

Just bought my first Boxster!

Hello,

I just purchased a 1998 manual in Arena Red with 50k miles, and it's going to be my daily driver after a couple years of an automatic M235i that drained my wallet and my soul. I couldn't be happier to return to analog. Begone EPAS, goodbye turbocharger, and farewell 8-speed!

I wanted a Miata with better rust protection and a better engine note, and have always loved Porsche. I narrowed my search to 98 and 99, because 97 was lacking the side airbags, which I appreciate having in a world full of Escalades, and the 2000+ 2.7's got drive-by-wire together with longer gearing, which in my opinion detracts from the experience. I really love my 2.5, the throttle response is telepathic and the intake sound is glorious.

Upcoming work includes paint correction, as the P.O. seems to have used lots of brushy drive-through washes, a set of Winter tires, a new ignition switch, a pair of new O2 sensors and a new driver's heated seat switch or relay (I'll be diagnosing that soon). I'm also going to try to restore the factory umbrella, as the rubberized handle finish has turned to glue over 25 years, and the vinyl sleeve is flaking like a stale croissant.

I'll post photos once I get a chance to pull it out of the garage, the way Arena Red plays with the light brings a smile to my face every time.

S50Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:04 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome! From your post it sounds like you've got a great start towards an enjoyable Boxster experience. Enjoy!
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:57 AM   #3

Welcome to the forums

ducker18 is offline   Reply With Quote