986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Who's doing the winter this year? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586)

CharlesGordon 11-14-2003 01:11 PM

Who's doing the winter this year?

After 2 years of storing the 986 for winter, this year it is my daily driver and only option for getting to work. I bought some 16" OEM wheels (yes, the Honda CRV looking ones) with Dunlop M2 tires--and so far, so good.

I casually have been looking at hardtops, but it is probably impossible to find a used Guards Red one (and $3K for a new one is kind of silly). I'll just back into the parking space at night or use a cover if its going to snow. I'm glad for the heated seats, but I do wish I had PSM.

Anyone else going to be running this winter?

donv 11-14-2003 01:25 PM

Mine will still be going into hibernation, shortly after the oil change this weekend... the AWD Subaru daily driver is better suited to the winter task anyway. I won't be having as much fun passing, etc. during the cold months but that will just make the first spring drive that much sweeter! ;)

jfmillr 11-14-2003 08:37 PM

Well I plan to drive mine most of the winter. I have an old cherokee I plan to drive but when the weather is nice, its Porsche time!

MattT 11-15-2003 07:29 AM

same wheel/tires - on their second winter. Really does quite well in the snow our Boxster. Truly, the worst part is the damn salt.

I too keep dreaming of the hard top, but haven't found it worth even the used price yet. The convertible top does surprsingly well (get the cover you referred to, with the only real problem being de-icing the rear window). NO ice scapers of course, and the cover will take care of it most of the time.

matt

jfmillr 11-16-2003 05:51 AM

Well I changed my mind yesterday. Not usually like that but I have been thinking about a new third car as a business vehicle with something that had 4wd. My old cherokee needs alot of work, not worth repairing, so trade in! I figured whatever it was I could drive when the elements are undesirable. Its not that I worry about myself driving my 986, but after last winter I am afraid of all the other drivers on the road losing control and hitting me :(
I decided to lease a 2004 jeep wrangler sahara. What a nice jeep! Its going to become my daily driver for work and am going to completely write off my monthly payments, thank you IRS :)
I still plan on driving my 986 when the weather is NOT bad, but when the days are nice the Jeep will be the one sitting around :)

Alienz 11-16-2003 11:45 AM

I will most liely get a Boxster without a hardtop next month but I'm actively looking for one with a hardtop and a decent price. But why would you care about de-icing the rear plastic window anyway? Do you really need it? Plus why does everyone change to 16'' wheels when it's winter time? Are the 17'' wheels bad in the snow?

ReyF 11-18-2003 09:39 AM

Well as usual we will keep ours on the road. Won't drive it daily but will try to get it on the road a few time a month.

By the way I had a great top-down drive at lunch today. Such a nice treat towards the end of November!

-Rey

William Harris 11-19-2003 07:07 AM

Drive all winter as usual!

Hi Charlie and Gang: Yeah, the hard tops on and the winter tires will go on this weekend (the summer tires are shot now any way with the rears down to nothing). Hard top definitely makes winter much more bearable. Hey, if your looking for a winter project, I'm deeply into the 914 restoration. The body is almost down to the bare chassis and the engine rebuild is next. TTYL, William

PorscheBoy 11-21-2003 12:57 PM

I have for the last 2 years driven the boxster for the winter... This year I am going try to use it a little less... But, I just can't be away from it that long... So, I think the 16" wheels go back on and and ofcourse blast that heater! :-)

Mark C. 11-30-2003 07:55 PM

I just got back from snowy VT with the C4S...great fun. But I have AWD :P

I hope to see at least a couple Boxsters on the road. I need to dig up the pic of the one in my neighborhood covered with 27 inches of snow last year!