Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2003, 05:57 AM   #1

Thanks everyone for yesterday

We had a pretty good turnout. Nice to see the Speed Yellow and Gaurds Red cars. We've really got a good mix of colors. Nice to have some new Boxster folks too. Charlie really out did himself and must have slept very well last night. I think he must have polished/waxed 4 cars yesterday! Randy's black S came out unbelievably well. I also thought Matt's came out pretty well too. There's a few pictures in the detailing GTG detail thread below.

Thanks,

Rey & Juliette

Last edited by ReyF; 05-11-2003 at 10:55 AM.
ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:49 AM   #2

Talking Thanks Rey & Juliette

for a great day of shinin' & dinin'! It takes a lot of guts (and work) to host an event like this. It's always a blast to get together with other Porsche owners to swap stories,tips and trash a visor or two .

The day was great until about 6:00 last evening when I hit a pothole (crater) on a backroad and blew out a rear tire. The tire is trashed, but luckily no rim damage. I've already put my snow tires and rims on the back until I can order a new set from TireRack. I now have to do some investigation into tires - Pirelli, Yokohama or something else? Suggestions are welcomed.

A huge thanks to Charlie for waxing my car. He did 99% of the work - I just assisted. My car hasn't looked this good since I brought it home from the dealer. I'll definitely be investing in some Klasse products.

Thanks again!

- Randy
RandyKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:35 AM   #3

That stinks Randy

Thankfully the rim's ok. I was just beginning my research for new rubber with the old Boxster. The new one has ok rubber on it. I was thinking about the SO3s. I've also heard pretty good thing with the Kumho Ecstas. They're priced really well too. Are you going to replace just the rears?

I was thinking that when it comes time to the fronts I may put 225s on the front and (maybe) 265 in the rear.

-Rey
Old 05-12-2003, 08:24 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

That does stink, Randy! With your top hurting too I'm glad I could at least help the paint.

I've also heard very good things about the S03's, more so than any other tire except the Kuhmo 712--which have a huge following because they are an amazing value at around $100.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 11:13 AM   #5

Unhappy New rear tires

After doing a little research on the TireRack web site, it looks like the S03's are the hands-down favorites. Their total (shipped) price for two 265/35 18's is $496. Add another $80 for mounting/balancing...

Ouch! That was an expensive afternoon drive!

When I bought snow tires, I had them mounted / balanced at a small shop in Waltham (can't remember the name). Any suggestions for shops that can do a top-notch job of mounting / balancing (no wheel damage & no vibration)?
RandyKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #6

Randy,

A bunch of guys in my Audi club use Wheel Dynamix in Natick. These guys usually are mounting very low profile high performance tires on expensive aftermarket wheels.

http://www.wheeldynamix.com

I haven't heard any negative feedback.

-Rey
Old 05-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #7

expensive day....

Turned out to be an expensive day....

Matt - hopefully, you can figure out a solution for the sun visors that you're happy with. I still can't believe the $400+ price tag, but what else is new for Por$che. For that kind of money I'd rather have Randy's tires!

Randy - we don't see you for ages, and sadly now you have a cranky top, and a most expen$ive visit with a pothole.....

Hopefully, we'll have good fortune for the Newport drive, and maybe this time you won't have a biz trip during the drive

-Juliette

Last edited by jtai21; 05-12-2003 at 06:16 PM.
jtai21 is offline   Reply With Quote