Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2002, 03:39 AM   #1
Regional Moderator

Where to get tires mounted in our area?

Hi guys,

I probably have less than 1,000 miles left on my original P-Zeros, and so I'd like to go ahead and order some replacements immediately from the Tire Rack. But I'm paranoid about getting low-profile tires mounted privately. I've heard that even the Tire Rack's "recommended installers" have messed up Porsche rims.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 05:22 AM   #2
Forum Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to JSLeach
Tire replacement

Charlie, based upon the experience of a local Boxster owner and friend, who had a real horror show with tire replacement (details later), and multiple postings on the PPBB, an absolute requirement is use of a Hunter dynamic balancer. Then it's a matter of the installer being aware of our fastidiousness with the cars and the expense of the wheels. I might even go so far as to work out some sort of guarantee with the shop manager to properly restitute damage to a wheel, vis a vis, REPLACE it -- that should serve notice that these aren't PepBoys specials.

Since I haven't yet had to change tires on my B, I don't know of any shops firsthand, but I'll ask my NCR colleagues for their suggestions.

John
JSLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:36 PM   #3

I just bought a new set of P Zeros from Autobahn Performance in Peabody. The price was reasonable although higher than Tire Rack and they did an excellent job mounting them and dealing with a problem with my wheels (not of their making). I would recommend them if that area is convenient for you.
-------------------------------------
PGTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

Thanks for the recommendation. Peabody is a little out of my way but certainly not too far to go to get the job done right!

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 05-26-2002, 07:30 PM   #5
Forum Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to JSLeach
Autobahn Performance

Charlie,
I would have to give an endorsement to AP as well -- this firm had done the installation of my H&Rs and the subsequent alignment. Rick Hethrington (believe I recall that right) is the shop owner. You'll be likely to see a number of race prepped Porsches and Audis there -- it's an otherwise non-descript shop located BEHIND a strip mall on Rt 1 just south of where it branches off I-95/128. Have I lost you?

John
JSLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:26 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

This sounds perfect--I looked at their website and now I wish I'd had them do my annual service instead of my dealer. Of course, with so many aftermarket goodies available, that could have been a REAL expense oil change!

-Charlie
Old 06-07-2002, 04:38 PM   #7

Maintenance/Tires

:dance: :dance: Hi Charlie, et. al. Rick/Autobahn has serviced all my Porsches, you can't do better. He has first rate equipment for tires and balancing. My Boxster had a high speed wobble that IRA couldn't get fixed, they told me that my tires were scalloped and needed to be replaced. Richard (the mechanic, not the owner) founded the tires were horribly out of balance and took care of it. No problem with the tires. Tell Rick I said hello.
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #8

Reawakening a "Zombie" thread -- I found a little nail in one of the rear tires this past weekend, and would love to get it fixed before putting the car up for winter storage soon.

I see the obvious merit of http://www.autobahnperformance.com/ from the above, but does anyone have experience with another good shop for high speed tire service somewhere in/near the Routes 95/3/495/2 "quadrant" NW of Boston? Peabody is not so convenient for me on weekdays, and that is all they offer at AP...
Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #9

Tire fixed - great experience!

Just to close the loop on this, I ended up waiting until last week to have the puncture fixed (the tire was holding air, made it through storage OK). I ended up giving Auto Sport Engineering in Stowe a call and arranged to have the repair done there, as I'd used them for a prior brake system bleed and DE inspection and liked their work.

They had me come in at 8, I was out the door by 8:30 and they charged me nothing. Tire and wheel are both in great shape now, Dave did a great job.

For those of you in the area, they have been publicizing a free oil change for first time customers in the Noreaster (PCA newsletter) and I heartily recommend taking them up on it.

While I was there I got into a conversation about a stack of Recaro seats they had in boxes in the waiting area (special deal to be announced soon on their website) and about my complaint re: the standard Boxster seats not having lumbar adjustment. Well, to my surprize, they brought out an aftermarket add-on that should slip behind the seat pad and provide that feature. It is an air bladder system with a bulb, like when you get blood pressure taken, for the inflation of the bladders.

They are going to fiddle with a Boxster seat and confirm if it can be installed. If so, I'm going for it.