Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #1

Talking minus whatever and still trucking

Is anyone here in the Greater Bean Town area still on the road besides me? Almost never see a Boxster on the roads. Maybe I should just buy the new Pepper Pot and to hell with the weather. Anyone planning on Lime Rock for the Porsche Club races in May? TTYL, William

William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

I saw a silver Boxster, with a hardtop, last week--first time in a long time. Heck, I rarely even see my own car since it is in storage. My daily beater is no fun, and I do miss the heated seats in the Boxster.

We should start thinking about things for the next season--Lime Rock sounds great!

Take care William,
Charlie
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:41 AM   #3

Silver Boxster w/ Hardtop

That would be me! Did ya notice the new clear side markers and clear tail lenses? Had to spend the PCA $100 bucks on something. Lime Rock, let's do it. I can almost hear the cars roaring into Big Bend. Take care Charlie, William

Last edited by William Harris; 01-21-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:07 AM   #4
K_barton

I'm still seeing a few out there

MB one on the north shore, Salem area , definitely a daily driver. I also see a SY 996 TT on a daily basis, don’t know whether it is driven in the snow but it’s unquestionably driven throughout the winter.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #5

Thumbs up keep on driving!

Glad to know some other Boxsters are out there on the road.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

I registered -12 today. Lots of extra rattles, but otherwise performed great. Took 5 milese to warm up. Glad I have the heated seats. Hardtop would be nice, but it is no big deal without.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:58 AM   #7

I ws thinking about you and William this morning - the Subaru was just a *bit* stiff this AM, and wondered how the Boxsters were doing in this weather. Glad to hear yours is truckin' along OK in this deep freeze!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #8

I just came back from a short drive. I try to do this as often as I can even during the winter, whenever the road looks safe. With the temps around in single digits, I would feel better to run the car on the road than risking battery drain in the cold garage. Any way, the raod was pretty good without much sands and snow. I live in the north shore where there are pretty quiet roads without to many potholes. One of my favorite corse is route 1A from Newburyport thru Ipswich to Hamilton to winding road to Bradley Palmer State Park into Topsfield! I'm pretty sure that you must be familiar with that course, William. Be sure to wave!
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

Really the one thing I noticed is that the stick is pretty hard to move, especially into 2nd gear, before the oil is warm. Its kind of weird driving such a nice car in such cold temperatures. Everything that makes the Boxster great, such as the steering feel, is all there--and you know exactly how much grip you have at all times.

I DO wish the car had a true LSD, though. I'd take PSM (which I cheaped out on and didn't get), but LSD would be perfect for pulling out of the corners and the occasional imperfect snow-shoveled driveway.

I miss the feel and massive grip of summer tires and 17" wheels. Though the 16" are very plush and smooth, nice in another sort of way.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:07 AM   #10

I was out driving mine the other day (cause my other car was in the shop). The car sounded like things didn't quite fit together such as the top. I guess its just the cold affecting the weather stripping. Some tiny creaks while I drove.

Of course, the last time I drove it, it was 70 and I had the top down. So I had to put the top up in the garage in the cold. The top didn't reach all the way to the frame of the car! I had to help it out a little. I was afraid of cracking that rear window, but I certainly wasn't going to drive it with the top down.

Anyway, lets hope it warms up soon.

JBG
Old 01-14-2004, 06:53 AM   #11

Started up the car this morning for the first time in a few weeks. It read -5 which is about the coldest I've ever ran it. Started right up. Talk about a stiff tranny. By the time I got to work things had loosened up nicely. Got quite a few stares as the car is spotlessly clean and the Zenith Blue really stands out. Felt good to be in a clean car for a change!

-Rey
ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
Regional Moderator

That sounds good, Rey. My car is at all-time dirtiest level, but that is kind of cool too because it proves that I'm out and driving it!

Minus 5 today, minus 12 tomorrow. I have to say, on the whole of it, I prefer summer.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #13

Lime Rock info

im interested in the lime rock event , is there any info to see?
Old 01-17-2004, 04:14 AM   #14
Forum Contributor

Man I feel for you guys up north. I saw on the news last night a woman take a cup of hot water and throw it up into the air. It showed the water just freeze into a mist instantly, damn, that looked cold.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

Here's the ugly proof...

Just turned up 20,000 miles today on my '01. Not looking so pretty! Probably be another month until I can safely clean it--I need at least 35 degrees! :ah:
Old 01-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #16
Regional Moderator

These are my winter wheels, so I don't feel so bad...
Old 01-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #17

Dang, that thing is a tad dirty. So thats your daily driver then right? I like your winter wheels, are they 16's?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:23 AM   #18
Regional Moderator

Those are stock 16's, the only ones Porsche ever made. Or should I say Honda--they have an uncanny resemblance to those on a CRV.

But they ride great and in some ways are more fun than the 17" I have--less understeer and less traction which makes the car more tossable.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:06 AM   #19

winter use

If you see one in the Dedham (Route 128 and Route 109 and Prov. Hiway) area that looks just like DONV's, that'll be me. Now that the weather has broken I've actually been out with the top down (thank GOD for heated seats).
Tom

tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote