Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #1

Double DIN Conversion Write-up Interest

Just got done converting my '00 Boxster S to a double DIN and took some pictures along the way. I was curious if there's anyone out there who would be interested in a detailed write-up. I had a hard time finding anything particularly detailed for myself so just kinda wung it, but if there's enough interest I'd gladly throw something together to give someone else an easier time.

MattAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
Perhaps the worst example

Yeah Matt, I’d read whatever you put here real closely. I’ve been good thus far with no sound, but that clean looking install you have there... pretty awesome to see.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #3

Garage
A good write up is always appreciated. I’m thinking of getting the new Porsche Classic Double Din. It is a little pricey but it looks like a decent unit.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran & Boxster Padawan

What model radio is that fits really well? List of parts and sources very much appreciated!

I have a 2003 with MOST so a real nightmare to change out and possibly the amp too or just bypass amp direct to speakers. A spring project maybe if I can find a used radio off eBay maybe...
Old 04-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmlifer View Post
What model radio is that fits really well? List of parts and sources very much appreciated!

I have a 2003 with MOST so a real nightmare to change out and possibly the amp too or just bypass amp direct to speakers. A spring project maybe if I can find a used radio off eBay maybe...
Call crutchfield - I cannot say enough good things about them. No matter what it is youre trying to do, they will help to make it happen. And they make it super easy for you, plus you get free support forever, with a real live human living in the US.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2021, 12:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAl View Post
Just got done converting my '00 Boxster S to a double DIN and took some pictures along the way. I was curious if there's anyone out there who would be interested in a detailed write-up. I had a hard time finding anything particularly detailed for myself so just kinda wung it, but if there's enough interest I'd gladly throw something together to give someone else an easier time.

Looks really 👍
Which installation kit was used, I'm thinking of the surrounding frame parts
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #7

There’s always this detailed video I made on the install...

https://youtu.be/JcAX-J25gjQ
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #8

Garage
I just bought a 7" touchscreen and all the hardware from Crutchfield and going to attempt the install this week or weekend.
I have a 2001 Boxster S and I have a microphone next to the speedometer. The new radio comes with a microphone for Siri commands and other stuff
Am I able to tap into this one already in the car. I don't know what the microphone is used for in my car, I don't have anything that uses voice commands.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #9

Unless you have the phone kit option, you dont have a microphone. All models have the cover that has holes on the left side of the dash. Worse place to put a mic also...right by a window.

Just take a blank from next to the radio on the left, drill a hole and put your mic in there. Done it on about a dozen cars so far and never any issue with voice quality, even with the top down.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Unless you have the phone kit option, you dont have a microphone. All models have the cover that has holes on the left side of the dash. Worse place to put a mic also...right by a window.

Just take a blank from next to the radio on the left, drill a hole and put your mic in there. Done it on about a dozen cars so far and never any issue with voice quality, even with the top down.

I planned on putting the mic in that blank switch, but noticed the mic last night and thought about that location.
But if it's not a good location, than the blank switch will do.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-13-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #11

Garage
+1 for the mic in a switch blank.

I recently installed a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX (from Sonic Electronix). The issue with the round plastic dash mic holder is that the backside is rectangular. The Pioneer mic would not fit in the space without modification. It was much easier to drill a hole in the switch blank and press fit the mic. The switch location is also an easy run for the mic cord to the back of the radio.

Also, the Recoil U3EXT Single Port USB extension from Amazon is a perfect fit for the round blank at the bottom of the dash switch panel.

junglegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:16 AM   #12
PLP

Well... I would be definitely interested, especially the OEM plugs.

Mine, 2003, base, has retrofitted double DIN, but the installer (previous owner) messed up wiring somehow. Speakers are cross wired, I do not get good switching +12V... so many things need to be done.

I would appreciate any help.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #13

Help: I did this install as well, but every time I shut off the car the memory of the headunit is lost and I have to reset the time, date, language etc.

I used the Metra wiring harness for a Pioneer double DIN. I read online that I may have to find a different power line, just seeing if anyone has had this problem yet and what they did to remedy.
jadeb0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeb0x View Post
Help: I did this install as well, but every time I shut off the car the memory of the headunit is lost and I have to reset the time, date, language etc.

I used the Metra wiring harness for a Pioneer double DIN. I read online that I may have to find a different power line, just seeing if anyone has had this problem yet and what they did to remedy.
This was covered in a recent post - the 12v constant supply the head unit needs to retain memory is wired wrong of the harness.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2021, 07:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
This was covered in a recent post - the 12v constant supply the head unit needs to retain memory is wired wrong of the harness.

Thanks, I've tried searching some threads and couldn't find much. One thread the installer already had the proper wire from the previous owner. I'm wondering if I can just use the constant supply wire from the cell phone adaptor?

Would appreciate it if you knew which thread, I tried searching 12v constant, metra radio, etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:01 PM   #16

Damn, I swear we just talked about it but for the life of me I can't find that post. If I remember correctly, the switched and constant 12v supplies are reversed. Just use your multimeter to test the wiring and reverse the pins if this is correct. But to answer your question, yes that is a shortcut you can do.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #17

on aftermarket radios Red = switched Yellow=constant
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #18

Thanks, I switched the yellow and red wire pins on the Metra 70-1787 Radio harness and all is well now!
Old 11-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #19

also did Double DIN conversion

I also did a double DIN conversion. My only problem is when I turn the key to the accessory position it doesn't energize the head unit, only when the ignition is all the way on do I get power on.

43marcus is offline   Reply With Quote