Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

New 987.2 owner with Q's (intermittent clatter, alignment, rear hatch alignment)

I purchased the car last weekend with 36K miles on it.

So far it seems to run well but a couple things...

1. I'm 90% certain the car has an aftermarket exhaust and/or intake. Can anyone point me towards pics of the stock units installed so I can compare?

2. Is there a tuner/OBDII/whatever for sale that will allow an owner to get into the ECM etc to look at the tune and all of the fun stuff? (Hoping for a BT dongle with a windows app like my motorcycles?)

3. There is an intermittent clatter/tick that changes frequency with RPM. I've only had it a couple days but it "might" only be happening when I have the AC off. I can get it to stop/start with minor adjustments of the throttle. I can ALSO hear the valves/valvetrain and while it may be a valve it's certainly one that sounds different from the rest and again... it's intermittent. It did not do this the first two days. In that time I put about 150 or so miles on it. (No guesses here... Plenty of hopes )

4. The alignment is a bit off. I'd say the steering wheel points about 3 or so degrees right. Dealer says they put a new tire on it. Wheel does not look new. No damage on any wheels. The tire they put on the car is the same size as the other but not the same brand/compound/speed rating etc... "Looks" like a lower quality tire. TPM says there are a few pounds difference in the pressure at the front. (bent Sway Bar link and/or tie-rod?)

5. The Alignment of the rear cabin lid is also slightly off. The bottom/rear right corner touches the body panel next to it. I plan on re-aligning that. What is the best way to slightly loosen the hinges to get that done? Does this indicate a significant chassis issue or do some of the Caymans just kinda settle that way?

M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #2

Oops... Meant to post this in technical...

Please delete as I've moved/re-posted. Sorry about that.

M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote