Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Diagnostic tools

After much web searching, I'm non the wiser on what diagnostic tool to buy for my 986. I'm new to diagnostics so I'm not sure what I'm even to look form. The car runs rough when cold and wanted to see if I can find the issue myself.

There are 3 types of tools.

Hand held, Cable/laptop and Blue tooth.

My thoughts, if it is for the occasional use, why spend the money on hand held, paying for box, screen, buttons etc when a laptop will do the same thing.

The cable laptop seems like a good option but that is not cheap. Is it because there are more functions available in this unit compared to hand held ?

Bluetooth units are incredible easy to make and cost even less than making a cable. Maybe this is the best value for money ?

Is there a table somewhere that lists the units and what functions they do and price ?

Is it worth (although why not) buying a $5 Blue tooth one from Aliexpress as a learning tool on diagnostics ?

Initially I don't want to spend more that a couple of $100.

marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsheng View Post
After much web searching, I'm non the wiser on what diagnostic tool to buy for my 986. I'm new to diagnostics so I'm not sure what I'm even to look form. The car runs rough when cold and wanted to see if I can find the issue myself.

There are 3 types of tools.

Hand held, Cable/laptop and Blue tooth.

My thoughts, if it is for the occasional use, why spend the money on hand held, paying for box, screen, buttons etc when a laptop will do the same thing.

The cable laptop seems like a good option but that is not cheap. Is it because there are more functions available in this unit compared to hand held ?

Bluetooth units are incredible easy to make and cost even less than making a cable. Maybe this is the best value for money ?

Is there a table somewhere that lists the units and what functions they do and price ?

Is it worth (although why not) buying a $5 Blue tooth one from Aliexpress as a learning tool on diagnostics ?

Initially I don't want to spend more that a couple of $100.

https://youtu.be/0sYoIbkjOz8
Old 07-23-2018, 03:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the link. Looks very good. I have bought a ELM 327 in the meantime for a whole $12 locally. From reports, it seems to work quite well. Once I have played around with it a bit and learned something, I'll upgrade if I have to but then at least Ill know what to look for when I buy.

Thanks

marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagnostics