Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Roll bar padding

Looking for tips on removal and reinstallation of Boxster roll bar padding for the purpose of installing replacement window deflector parts.

Donald29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #2

Search for the Brey Krause rollbar extension installation instructions and threads. On the hoops there are three attachment points for the padding. One is at the very top of each hoop and then there are 2 more on each hoop, one towards the bottom of the hoop padding on each side of the hoop. If you have a set of the plastic interior trim removal levers, use those, otherwise use a flat screwdriver with tape over the bladed end. If you want to buy the plastic levers you can get a cheap set at Harbor Freight or on eBay. Pry under the padding and lever the padding off near each of the attachment points. Be careful and try to do it so that any paint that gets scratched is underneath the padding. The padding has three threaded studs that go into little plastic sockets inserted into thre rollbar. If the sockets come out of the rollbar with the padding, just remove them from the studs and reinsert them in the holes in the rollbar. If any of the studs get bent, you can gently straighten them with a pair of pliers. The first time the padding is removed is the hardest, after that it gets easier. This I know from installing and removing my BK rollbar extension a few times. Just press the padding back on when you're ready to reinstall.

Last edited by PaulE; 11-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Paul:

Thank you!

The small bushings that are used to connect the studs to the holes in the roll bar were trashed when I finally got the one hoop off. I have on order the replacement parts for the wind deflector fasteners and levers. I included what appears to be replacement bushings in that order. I hope they are the right stuff.

Thank you for your message, it is a big help.
Donald29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald29 View Post
Paul:

Thank you!

The small bushings that are used to connect the studs to the holes in the roll bar were trashed when I finally got the one hoop off. I have on order the replacement parts for the wind deflector fasteners and levers. I included what appears to be replacement bushings in that order. I hope they are the right stuff.

Thank you for your message, it is a big help.
My pleasure, happy to help when I've been there! My bushings are a bit worn now but I like it that way, the first time I took that padding off it was very hard to do. Now it is a lot easier, and the padding stays on fine and doesn't rattle at all so I'm a happy camper!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote