Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

Passenger Airbag Cover Rattle Fix

With an assist from Particlewave and Ben006, I was able to fix an issue that was driving me nuts.

I hate rattles and noises in the cockpit, and my box had developed this really loud and annoying rattle that I quickly isolated to the passenger airbag cover. There is an old TSB that directs you to replace the felt lining around the airbag opening in the dash. The Bentley manual really came in handy for this project. It has a fairly comprehensive instruction for removing and replacing the passenger airbag.

This is a really straightforward project, but I thought I'd pass along a few tips to help you if you have the same issue.

The most difficult part of this project was getting into a position in the passenger footwell where I could actually work. I suggest hanging around a Cirque du Soleil and see if you can hire one of those 85 pound Romanian gymnasts. Or maybe find a French Circus Monkey.

The second most difficult part of the job was removing and replacing the heater duct that blocks access to the two bolts holding the airbag. Two words: brute force. Grab that sucker by the accordion section and pull down hard and sharp. When replacing, start with the outboard end.

The two bolts you need to remove are waaayyy up in the dash. I needed a 12" extension.

Once I had the cover removed, I saw that some of the felt had moved out of position. Pelican has the adhesive felt, part #964 555 565 00.

The Bentley Manual calls for you to torque the bolts to 15 ft/lb. Make sure your wrench can be set that low. By the way, when replacing these bolts, I found it's easiest to lie on your back and look straight up at the bolt holes and wrench away. Also, keep in mind if one of those bolts fall out, they really hurt when they hit you in the forehead. Ask me how I know.

Keep in mind that when you reconnect the battery, you'll need to relearn the window settings and reenter your radio code.

Good luck!

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 12-13-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote