Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Garage Door Opener

My Homelink will not set, I’ve tried everything I can think of, I always receive the 3 blinks of fog lights, then it simply just doesn’t work, any suggestions.
2007 Boxster

MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

About it blinking 3 times, the owners manual says you may have to try several times from different distances but it seems to me once it blinks it has received the signal. No matter how many times you try from different distances it should be set once it blinks, or least it seems that way to me. LoL
Old 08-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Also… I just checked and the stupid dealership put 39 lbs air in both the front and back tires.
The tag located on the door says 30 front and 37 back.
I let out lots of air and settled on 32 front and 37 rear.
Do you think I should drop the front tires down to 30, seems awful low?
Would appreciate any feedback on either issues, the tire pressure and especially the Homelink.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTHA View Post
Also… I just checked and the stupid dealership put 39 lbs air in both the front and back tires.
The tag located on the door says 30 front and 37 back.
I let out lots of air and settled on 32 front and 37 rear.
Do you think I should drop the front tires down to 30, seems awful low?
Would appreciate any feedback on either issues, the tire pressure and especially the Homelink.
Thanks!
Can't help you with the homelink but tire pressure on these cars is important. For mine, a 986 S, the pressure calls for 29 front & 36 rear. They do heat up quite a bit when driving and the pressure will increase so be careful about over pressurizing the front more than a couple of lbs when cold. I think you will find that handling is best when filled to spec.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Depending on how new the opener, you may have to use the "Learn" button on back to fully sync them up (rolling codes, etc.). i.e - use remote to initially program car (via steady/slow flashing as prescribed in manual) then hit learn button on back of opener motor and finally hit button again on your homelink.

Good luck
Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
as prescribed in manual) then hit learn button on back of opener motor and finally hit button again on your homeland.
Good luck
Thanks paulofto and Burg Boxster for all your help.

When I did a search on YouTube concerning Homelink I had seen this additional info on a video, I was just scared to attempt it. I was hoping there is another way.

I guess my fear/question is if I hit the learn button on the opener motor to learn the signal sent out by my Boxster will the opener still work remotely from my other 2 cars that operate on the present signal/code

Hate to gain one but lose two, hope all I'm trying to say makes some sort of sense.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I think you will find that handling is best when filled to spec.
Thanks paulofto, Yes I think you are correct, Porsche probably knows better than I what the tire pressures should be. I'm thinking its best I go with 30 in the front.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTHA View Post
... if I hit the learn button on the opener motor to learn the signal sent out by my Boxster will the opener still work remotely from my other 2 cars that operate on the present signal/code
Yes, they will continue working as homelink unit in car syncs up (aka 'learns') the rolling code required by the opener.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Yes, they will continue working as homelink unit in car syncs up (aka 'learns') the rolling code required by the opener.

Good luck
Worked like a charm, Thanks sooooooo much!