986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How to Disable DRL, 2002, 986, Canadian (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62430)

PDXGresham 07-19-2016 09:04 PM

How to Disable DRL, 2002, 986, Canadian

Been looking through all the forums with no luck. Trying to DISABLE the DRLs on my 2002 Boxster, Canadian specs. Have tried pulling the large relay as one site suggested but that had no effect.

I may opt to move the DRLs to another set of lights but for now I'd just like them off --or better, to have the choice of on/off.

I will greatly appreciate any advice or help you may have to offer.

thanks

986ohana 07-24-2016 05:06 AM

i would also like to know

BoxsterSteve 07-24-2016 05:33 AM

Odd... removing the DRL relay did it for my car.

JFP in PA 07-24-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXGresham (Post 503664)
Been looking through all the forums with no luck. Trying to DISABLE the DRLs on my 2002 Boxster, Canadian specs. Have tried pulling the large relay as one site suggested but that had no effect.

I may opt to move the DRLs to another set of lights but for now I'd just like them off --or better, to have the choice of on/off.

I will greatly appreciate any advice or help you may have to offer.

thanks

It can be done, but requires the dealer level diagnostic tool, and no dealer will do it as it is a mandated safety item and turning them off opens those that do it to liability claims in an accident. In may US states, cars that are suppose to have them, and don't, will also fail inspection.

PDXGresham 12-08-2016 06:40 PM

It's not mandatory in my State. My issue is that the DRL's on my car only turn on the headlights. NO other lights are turned on. With digital instrumentation and radio it looks like my lights are on when the tail lights are not. And yes, while half of my speedometer and tach are dark, I don't general consult these gauges when I'm pulling away from my home or parking space. What I have is a distinctly unsafe arrangement.

Still looking for this answer and hopeful someone might have a helpful suggestion.

thanks.

Duezzer 01-19-2017 08:11 PM

I suspect the 2002 must be diff then the 99 I own. DLR relay did the trick for me.

Giller 01-20-2017 02:13 AM

Unsafe arrangement? Because your headlights come on? Millions and millions of cars have that arrangement....what's different in yours?

Having DRL is proven to be safer, hence so many places have instituted them.

911monty 01-20-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 523504)
Unsafe arrangement? Because your headlights come on? Millions and millions of cars have that arrangement....what's different in yours?

Having DRL is proven to be safer, hence so many places have instituted them.

Giller; I think what is a concern is that at night with the headlights on (auto DRL) and a casual observation of the dash, you can be led to believe your taillights are on when in fact they're not. This also happens to be a pet peeve of mine when driving rental cars since there is no standard operation between manufacturers.

undergroundracer 09-10-2017 02:37 PM

DRL Located on '99 Porsche Boxster

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duezzer (Post 523488)
I suspect the 2002 must be diff then the 99 I own. DLR relay did the trick for me.

Where is the DLR located, on a 1999 Boxster base model, and what # is it? I don't have a owner's manual.

Thank you,
Kevin
kstone1977.ks@gmail.com