986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Hard top fitting hack (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59004)

Xpit77 10-03-2015 05:42 AM

Hard top fitting hack

Putting the hardtop on again.I read somewhere but cant remember where, to put a thin coat of car wax on the rubber seal . Apparently it gives a better seal and doesn`t hurt the finish. Anyone done this ?

leftfield6 10-03-2015 10:46 AM

Wax on rubber seems the opposite of a good idea. Wax hardens as it dries, so it seems like it does exactly the wrong thing.

Now, a coating of a quality rubber treatment I can understand. I use Griot's Garage Vinyl and Rubber Treatment.

Vinyl and Rubber Dressing - Griot's Garage

rfuerst911sc 10-04-2015 03:14 AM

Gumiphlage I hope I have the spelling right. Go to any local drug store they will have it. It's what has been used for decades on rubber weatherstripping.

rick3000 10-04-2015 08:21 AM

I have never heard of using wax. It would be a good idea to wax the paint where the hardtop seal touches the car, but I wouldn't put wax on the rubber.

For the hardtop rubber/seals use Gummi Pflege, around $8 on Amazon. It is the absolute best thing you can put on seals and rubber to keep them from getting worn out, and it actually helps make the rubber a bit fuller, which helps avoid squeaks. I coat all the seals I can find 1-2 times a year with it.

Porsche9 10-04-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 468685)
I have never heard of using wax. It would be a good idea to wax the paint where the hardtop seal touches the car, but I wouldn't put wax on the rubber.

For the hardtop rubber/seals use Gummi Pflege, around $8 on Amazon. It is the absolute best thing you can put on seals and rubber to keep them from getting worn out, and it actually helps make the rubber a bit fuller, which helps avoid squeaks. I coat all the seals I can find 1-2 times a year with it.

I second this. Makes a big difference with the annoying squeaks.

Porsche9 10-04-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 468685)

I second this. Makes a big difference with the annoying squeak that you can get with the top installed.

Xpit77 10-05-2015 03:44 AM

Thanks. I installed it dry. It fit great with just a little adjustment.

DarkStar 10-06-2015 11:48 AM

I'm soo interested in this lol. I'm already tired of the squeeks in the car now 2 months in of having a hard top permanently installed.

Xpit77 10-11-2015 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkStar (Post 468946)
I'm soo interested in this lol. I'm already tired of the squeeks in the car now 2 months in of having a hard top permanently installed.

The easiest way to get rid of the squeek is to increase the RPM.

rick3000 10-11-2015 09:12 AM

Have you tried adjusting the top?

Do a search for my comments, I have posted a few times over the years how to do it. The short, short version is, you need to adjust the top every month or so for the first few months it's on the car until it 'settles'. Use the allen bolts above the spi locks, and have someone push the top forward and down as you retighten the bolts to get a better and less squeaky fit.