Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #1

Boxster 2.703 with Bose - need help/info on changing head unit

Hi guys,

I am looking to replace the boring featureless single din head unit. Ideally I'd have one with a flip up screen that has sat nav, and some form of aux in.

I currently have the stock head unit and the Bose sound system. I am unsure of details and unsure how to check.

Normally, I wouldn't ask and just order a head unit that ticks my boxes. I have however read a lot about bus or fibre optics or something that could make this very difficult.

Now I don't understand any of this, could anyone help explain what the challenges are and help point me in the right direction as to being able to achieve what I want?

The speakers sound amazing and I'm more than happy with them, I just want a newer and more useful head unit,

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Graniticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Starting with 2003, they went to the MOST system which is a fiber optic bus for all the audio components like amp and CD changer. I am not aware of any aftermarket head units that support MOST, there may be some out there, I just am not aware of them.

If you just have the basic system (with or without rear speakers), no amp or CD changer, you can use any aftermarket head and amp. If you have the upgraded system with an amp and/or CD changer, you will need to replace the amp and changer if you change the head unit.

In addition, the BOSE system uses special very low impedance speakers. You can use the speakers with a different amp.

In my 996 Targa, it has the BOSE system with an Alpine head unit and amp. The CD changer is not connected. Works and sounds great
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Because of the MOST bus you can only use Porsche parts. In this case you can exchange the stock CDR23 with a PCM 2.1, or you can add a Dension 500 to the Most bus to add Bluetooth and AUX-In / iPod In.

Else you have to completely exchange the HU and AMP with no MOST BUS after market components. Because the stock BOSE system is a full active system, you'll have to make shure that the new components are also have a crossover and if possible time alignement etc.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Starting with 2003, they went to the MOST system which is a fiber optic bus for all the audio components like amp and CD changer. I am not aware of any aftermarket head units that support MOST, there may be some out there, I just am not aware of them.

If you just have the basic system (with or without rear speakers), no amp or CD changer, you can use any aftermarket head and amp. If you have the upgraded system with an amp and/or CD changer, you will need to replace the amp and changer if you change the head unit.

In addition, the BOSE system uses special very low impedance speakers. You can use the speakers with a different amp.

In my 996 Targa, it has the BOSE system with an Alpine head unit and amp. The CD changer is not connected. Works and sounds great
thanks JayG, this is really helpful. i just want to be clear, i dont think i have a cd changer, just the head unit and a bose system. the alpine head i would imagine that you run in your 996 is generic? did you change the amp or is that the one that came with the bose.

all i really want to do is add aunit with a screen for sat nav and possibly include aux in lol, i did not realise this was such a ballache!

thanks again

Grant
Old 02-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Because of the MOST bus you can only use Porsche parts. In this case you can exchange the stock CDR23 with a PCM 2.1, or you can add a Dension 500 to the Most bus to add Bluetooth and AUX-In / iPod In.

Else you have to completely exchange the HU and AMP with no MOST BUS after market components. Because the stock BOSE system is a full active system, you'll have to make shure that the new components are also have a crossover and if possible time alignement etc.
thanks smallblock, the pcm is a double din, it wouldnt fit as a swap, do you have any experience with this yourself? id be more than happy to loose the boring ac unit for it which is partyl; why i wanted a flip up screen, to hide it! obvs cant take it out though...

Tags
audi upgrade , bose , sat nav