986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   help for stereo upgrade for a simplist (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48647)

BTfd2e93 09-29-2013 10:53 PM

help for stereo upgrade for a simplist

Hi Folks,

I know this has been discussed to death ..... there is so much info, that I am having difficulty understanding the options available.

I have a 2001 boxster base.

I need to upgrade my stereo system and I've been able to narrow down to the following. I dont need hard core stuff. ... i just want to have OEM fit if possible:

1) upgrade dash speakers
2) upgrade door speakers
3) upgrade Head unit.
4) Adding 1 amp

From what I've read,

1) alpine SPS 410 seems like a good choice for buck for OEM fit.
2) I have no idea which speaker would fit with OEM .... i heard there is a difference between regular door speakers and also a BOSE version, which can be sourced 2nd hand from ebay. Is this true? is the BOSE version of the door speaker decent?
3) Head unit, i heard Kenwood KDC-BT555U is a good choice
4) I heard that there is always 1 stock amp in the front. I would like to power the dash speaker with this, and add 1 amp to drive the upgraded door speakers.

Can someone help me clarify the above points?

Thanks alot!

Nimbus117 09-30-2013 03:57 AM

Cant comment on the Alpines as I have completely forgotten what I fitted. Find some OEM door subwoofers and fit some rear speakers. Here are the door subwoofers:

Porsche 986 Boxster 996 Carrera 911 Door Panel Haes Loud Speaker Sub Woofer Left | eBay

Keep away from the Bose speakers due to the low impedance. I have a Pioneer 940BT which is a really good satnav unit. I would recommend you look at the Pioneer Appradio units rather than that Kenwood if your budget is tight. I powered the front and rear speakers off the headunit and fitted an Alpine amplifier where the Porsche amp used to be - this powers the door speakers only. You will be amazed at the difference and increased functionality.

BTfd2e93 09-30-2013 07:12 AM

i might have to start from scratch.

i checked, and the wiring harness to the OEM amp in the frunk has been cut off.

Currently, all 4 speakers are being driven off the Headunit. I suspect the speakers have also disintegrated.

so basically, no bass and distorted highs only.

feel like im listening to the news on bad reception ... even when listening to CD :)

i've gathered that my headunit is ok .. its a sony xplod with 57x4 output, CD with USB.

im planning on getting a 4 channel amp to drive the dash & door speakers.

I'll get probably alpine or kenwood speakers for dash 4" and door 5.25".

ill re-wired everything ..... so fresh power to the amp ... new speaker wires to the speakers and RCA to the Headunit.

hopefully running the wires (from the frunk to the cabin) wont be too much of a headache!

where is the battery for the car btw? to connect my amp.