Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

transmission auto to manual

I have a 3.2 with an automatic that I want to install in my Boxster and I would like to use my existing 5 speed that is on my blown 2.7. Does anyone know if a manual 5 speed transmission on a 2.7 can be switched with an automatic transmission on a 3.2?

rbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Anything can be done given enough time and money but this is a can of worms you probably don't really want to open. In addition to changing the mechanicals you will need a dash, ECU, alarm module coded for your chassis, engine and trans and appropriate harness. Expect to spend over 100 hrs on this little changeover dealing with all the little details. There are very few that have ever done this as a result.

I value my time too much to do this and would choose to sell the car and buy one configured the way I wanted. It would be a lot easier to put the 3.2L motor in the 5spd car with about 1/10th the complication and effort.

Last edited by Topless; 12-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Agree, time is money. I may have mislead you on my problem.
I have a 02 boxster/ 5 speed with a 2.7 blown motor. What I would like to do is increase my HP with a bigger engine.
I am able to buy a reasonable 02, 3.2 motor that has an automatic on it.
Just not sure if my manual 5 speed transmission housing will bolt on to the 3.2.
I believe the DME will also need to remapped.
If anyone has a link or knowledge that can help me, I would appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Putting a 3.2L into a 5spd car is very straightforward. If they are the same year everything is nearly plug and play. This article has most of the details:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Engine Conversion Project - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-08)

Downsides:

A lot more heat generated by the larger motor so you will probably want to add the 3rd radiator.

The 986 5spd is not as robust as a 6spd so you may want to add a trans cooler as well if you do performance driving. Good luck with your project.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

I remember receiving a request for quote from my indy here RE changing a tip into a 5speed. You don't want to know how much... it was embarrassing. Let's just say it is cheaper for you to buy 2 (two) Boxsters having their engine blown up :/

Much like others recommended. Look for a one of those engine-blown title, buy it as-is and slam in your 3.2 in this one. 50x faster and 10x cheaper
Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #6

Garage
I put the 3.2 that had a tip into a 5 speed 2.7 it was not hard. I kept the 5 speed and threw away the tip. The harness on the 2003 2.7 mated up fine with a 2004 3.2. As others suggested I added a center radiator. Which cost about $250 core brackets clamps and hoses. So far no problem on the Transmission. Had to get a ECM tune, Engine conversion from Softronics.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 12-09-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Miss read original post
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #7

Thanks, that was what I hoping. Yes I plan to also add a third radiator.
Because I have a 2002 boxster, would you know if a newer year engine will work in model? Is there a range of years that will work?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

Garage
The short answer is not very easily. 2000 - 2002 are a straight out exchange. The 101 project book and Pelican site spell it out. 2007 and up No or the cost get too high to make it practical.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote