Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #21

UPDATED ORIGINAL POST:

I am Finished. No pics until tomorrow. But the Damn thing is in!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 03-20-2010 at 02:02 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #22

[QUOTE=mptoledo]Yep, you heard me Right. Around $15 to replace your rear window.
Now if you have the money for a new top, this thread is not for you. This is for the frugal person who doesn't want to throw away a small fortune on a new top. My top was in perfect shape and being a Cali car my window was sun beaten and shot. I rarely ever drive my car in the rain or in cold weather. My top is down 95% of the time it is driven.

This is Part 1, Part 2(final part) will come tomorrow(hopefully)

Now this is a work in progress so bear with me.

Difficulty level: Removal=1, Sewing in new=5.5

TOOLS: Got most of the stuff at Joann fabric and craft store.
1.) Clear Vinyl Plastic 20gauge $4 1/2 yd
2.) heavy waxed carpet thread(nylon was too weak) $4
3.) Needle nose pliars
4.) 10 #2 needle $2.99(had it)
5.) Razor blade
6.) Coleman Seam sealer $3.00 (walmarts)
7.) 3m outdoor black carpet tape(waterproof double sided) $10

Procedure: "Removal" 15 minutes or less
1.) From the outside, use razor blade between plastic and vinyl top. Mine glided through with no problem. Window comes right out.
2.) Remove existing thread. I used the dull side of the razor and just scrape the thread right out of the holes. Go from inside to the outside and use your free thumb under to push it up as you scrape. I tried a thread remover, but the blade worked like a charm. Took about 8 minutes. I had no oops or damage of any kind.
3.) Keep and use old window as template for new. Clean off any debri or old canvas
4.)Edited: Make the window larger than the old one. at least 2" around larger. 5.) Using utility scissors, I cut out the new window and you are almost ready for the install. Be careful not to scratch it.
6.) Edited: I am using Black gorilla duct tape on both sides of the window to add support and keep the stitches from pulling through.(see pics). Just tape the sides and top. Wait to do the bottom until your done stitching the top and sides. It will save you aggrevation of having to taking it off and readjusting it later.

Removal Pics:

New window:

Notes: don't cut your finger nails as you will need them for removing the old thread. I would have preferred a thicker plastic, but I have to deal with what I have. I need to figure out a few things before installing it. Like what to use to keep threads water proof. The old window had a gummy weather type stripping on the outside and a piece of canvas on the inside to weather proof and keep the thread from tearing through the vinyl.

UPDATE: I tested a left over piece and the blow dryer had no effect on the vinyl. I hoped to get out some of the imperfections. Don't get me wrong as the vinyl is that bad, i just hoped to get it better. I would rate it 7.5 out of 10 as to the original "new" window.

*if you would rather remove the whole canvas top here is a link, but be warned you might as well buy a new top if you go this route as it isn't easy
http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/e/eb/DIY_Boxster_Conv_Top_Canvas_R_R.pdf

Install New Window: 2 to 4 hours
This is going to be the hardest and most time consuming process.
You will need 10 #2 needles or tapestry needles work good also, a roll of 3m outdoor double sided carpet tape in black, and needle nose pliers. I am doing this in 4 parts. top, sides(2) and bottom. I am saving the best for last(actually hardest).
1.) Ok by now you should have your window cut out and taped.
2.) "Dry" fit you new window into your hole and mark(not on window) where the center is. If you have trouble with this then skip to step 3
3.) Use the Double sided 3m outdoor carpet tape, 3" strips, on the top center and both top corners. This will help you center it.
4.) Once centered, put one stitch in the center top (use the existing holes, if you have trouble seeing them use a flashlight from underneath),use 3 foot length of string and leave the needle hanging as you will use it in a few minutes.
5.) Now pull the old tape off and put a longer piece over the length of the entire top between the canvass and the glass. This will act as a seal to help you sew it in and will act as a great weather proofing.
6.)Sew in a stitch in each corner the same as the middle, leaving a 3 foot length of string hanging. I plan on going clockwise on each to get to meet at the top(you can do it any way you want).
7.) Now you should have 3 stitches with three 3' pieces of string.
8.) This step is a huge time saver. as the pic below shows, pre "poke" your holes. (this helps the needle goes through easier and more uniformly and you can see the hole in the black tape on the inside and will give you a great uniform look). I found it easiest to use a pair of needle nosed pliers and grasp the needle in the middle to poke the holes, other wise you will break needles left and right.
9.)Start sewing!! Grab needle about 1/3rd the way up with the pliers as the needle will bend or break. If you get a rythm going it goes much quicker.
10.) The whole upper half and sides took about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Not too hard but I am 6'3" and getting in and out of the car really sucks.

Finale:
11.)Last part (bottom) was easier than I thought. In fact it was the easiest part. I put the bottom of the top up and was able to sew without going in and out of the car. Took about an hour.
12.) I plan to cover the inside stiches with Gorilla duct tape asit will act as water proofing barrier and keep the stiches in place. I plan to use seam sealer on the outside stichtes
13.) color thread black let dry an hour(black sharpie) and then apply seam seal per its directions.

Final Pic coming.

Thoughts: I like it. It was a pain, but it definately saved me a lot of money. It looks good, not great, but I knew that going in. Money is tight and I needed a cheap fix that didn't embarrass me.

After thoughts:
I plan to color the threads black if I don't like how it looks when I am done. I used heavy, waxed carpet thread for a couple reasons; first= I had it, second= it will not break!! Your best bet is to get the color that matches your top. I tried other threads but they all easily broke between my fingers.

Hints:
1.) I left the car in the sun so the tape and window warmed up. This made it seal better and was easier to push the needle through. I should have it done later tomorrow moring.
2.) Use the double sided carpet tape to hold in the top first, sew a couple holder stitches in as you get it postioned. Dont put any tape on the bottom until you get ready to do it as my estimate of size was off.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #23

I am in the process of coloring the threads black and then I will seal them with seem sealer. Unfortunately the rain and the coldness from yesterday and today has kept me from sealing it. Although it is garaged, I want to seal it when it is dryer and warmer out. I will post pics as soon as everything is done, Most likely Wednesday

Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #24

Finale
It is done, except for sealing the seams and taping the inside seams with more gorilla duct tape(The tape will keep it water tight and hide the threads. Now I can clean off the cat prints, cat hair and dirt(The flash made it look worse than it is).
Overall, I am really happy with the outcome. It was a lot easier to sew the bottom than I thought, as I just flipped the convertible up and did both sides from the outside. It folds nicely but I imagine I'll still have to be careful in cold weather.

Here are some pics I couldn't post in the original thread as I reached my limit.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #25

I'll give you and "A" for effort! Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #26

Thanks Bob
I was thinking over all grade was a B to a B-. I took off points for not using the correct color thread(black), not ponying up for a better grade of plastic for the window, and not getting it stretched better. By the end I was taking breaks so I didn't just rush the damn thing to get it over with. But as long as it last me at least till next season, I consider it time well spent. If I have to do it again, at least I can learn from my mistakes. Actually I will probably get a new top with glass next year.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #27

So are you taking appointments for other peoples cars?
Looks good.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #28
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I agree you probably shoulda used a better grade plastic window, but def an A for effort! Besides, it looks a whole lot better than clear packing tape! Good job.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #29

Garage
So that is what a clear plastic window looks like, impressive, the only ones I have seen are yellowish and opaque.

A for effort!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #30

No appointments please, my fingers are still in recovery I see why shops charge a minimum of $200 to sew one of these in. My fingers looked like pin cusions by the time I was done. That was mostly due to me never sewing a stitch in my life. Once I dropped the thimble idea and went to the needle nose pliers I only lanced myself a couple times.

My main concern with the top was to stop water from coming in as my old one was literaly shot. It had a foot long crack down the right side and a 6" crack down the left. As stated earlier my top is down 95% of the time I am in the car. If money isn't a concern of yours I would definately go with the new glass top installed for around a grand.

Last edited by mptoledo; 03-23-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #31

good job mp, > your double-sided tape idea is a good one to add to the DIY idea bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
my fingers are still in recovery I see why shops charge a minimum of $200 to sew one of these in. If money isn't a concern of yours I would definately go with the new glass top installed for around a grand.

Yep. Pretty much the same conclusion I came to and what I try to express before people dive into this diy, but I'm not one to say I told you so

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #32

hiii

I bought some 3m outdoor carpet tape and used it to hold the window in while I sew. I started with 3 stitched points to hold it in place and make sure I had it centered. I started at the top in the middle, then did the top two corners with one loop. I left the needles hanging with enough thread to get the the next starting point clockwise.

Sealed Lead Acid Battery
helehnhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #33

Helen, are you asking me a question or just posting spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helehnhunt
I bought some 3m outdoor carpet tape and used it to hold the window in while I sew. I started with 3 stitched points to hold it in place and make sure I had it centered. I started at the top in the middle, then did the top two corners with one loop. I left the needles hanging with enough thread to get the the next starting point clockwise.

Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Last edited by mptoledo; 04-02-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #34

pretty sure that's a spambot. I reported it a couple days ago.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #35

looks great!

My widow was replaced by the last owner. I've been using Plexus, http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html on it and its clearer and more flexible than when I got it. I think that it will add some life to this window. I got it a West Marine.
U986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #36

Plexus is great stuff, i need to order a new case of it.