Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thumbs up Variable Intermittent Wiper Hack

I installed this hack a few weeks ago and finally found some time to make some instructions for everyone. It is the same as the kit that shows up on eBay every few weeks , but will cost you about $40 less. The site with the original instructions disappeared, so I have figured out how to do this and made a PDF you can download.

Basically, this hack enables the use of variable intermittent wipers in your 986 Boxster. It allows you to use a dash mounted dial to set your wipers to wipe at an interval between 4-30 seconds. This is a great addition to any Boxster especially if you drive in the rain. It is completely OEM and fully reversible (depending on a few choices).

You can get the instructions on my website which can be found here: Instructions
or on RennTech Here

This hack works great, and I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by rick3000; 01-26-2010 at 10:28 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #2

I think i already have this on my 986S, i have that same button in the insturctions site under my psm button, that mean i have it?
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #3

Wiper dial was standard on the S. It was not even an option on the base Boxster, so you have to "hack" it on the 2.5 and 2.7.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Hi, i've just fitted the hack, but any ideas why i only seem to have a max of a 2 second interval? I've double checked the instructions and all is as described.

Thanks, Andrew.

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Andrew McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
SoK

have a link to the instructions you used that isn't dead? the original 2 in this thread are long gone.

Also, did you find the "kit" on ebay still?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

both links above are dead. or is it just me?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

This one works...

Wipers

I fixed mine tonight, there are two different dials. One way to tell them apart is the icon on the front. The first one I had had a different icon to the one shown in the instructions. Hence it would not work correctly.

:-)

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McD View Post
This one works...

Wipers

I fixed mine tonight, there are two different dials. One way to tell them apart is the icon on the front. The first one I had had a different icon to the one shown in the instructions. Hence it would not work correctly.

:-)
Andrew,
Do you have the part number of the correct one?
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #9

Bryan, the one listed in the instructions is the correct one. I did not check what i'd been sent, not thinking there would be two. It's incorrect part number is; 996 613 127 00. If you, as I was, are buying the parts used, you should be able to ask for the plug connector too, as that makes things a bit easier.