Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #1

Will my battery die??

Uh, I was just wondering if my car will start-up if it's been sitting for 2-3 months?? It stays in a temp controlled garage at about 60 degrees. I figure it will start since I let it sit for 1 month and it fired right up. I drove it for 30miles then put it back up. I may not drive it again until late march, so it will probabbly sit for 2-3 months. Should I get a battery conditioner, or will I be ok? I don't wan't a drained battery if I can help it. What is your guys' experience with boxster batteries? Can it handle a 2mo-3mo sit?

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
b0xt0La

The ideal solution is to disconnect the battery. If you lock the doors you will activate the alarm system which obviously uses your battery. Either disconnect the battery or just start the car once a week for 10 minutes.

Jacob
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:19 PM   #3

I don't lock the doors, but I think these very small light diodes put out a very tiny amount of light by the doorhandles and by the rearview mirror. Do these sap much battery power, or any?
Old 02-09-2004, 02:56 AM   #4

2-3 months is a long time. You might want to check into getting the Porsche Battery Maintainer. Kind of a trickle charger I guess. I have let mine sit for about 19 days at a stretch with no problems, but I'd be concerned to go 60 or 90 days.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #5

Were can I get the best price on this battery maintainer and will it overcharge my battery? Does it have autoshutoff? Also, does it plug into the cig lighter?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #6

I use the porsche batt. maintainer for the whole winter's storage with no issues. Purchased from Suncoast for ~$55. Totally automatic, cig lighter connection.