986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   WTB: Boxster S with bad motor (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73225)

BoxsterLS376 09-09-2018 01:53 PM

WTB: Boxster S with bad motor

Greeting everyone,

Been a while since i've visited, hope you have all been well.

Am interested in a new project car, thinking cheap swap project this time as I keep getting requests for budget LS swaps. Yes I said LS swap so if that is against your Porsche religion then don't sell me your car :)

Interested in a car with a bad motor/ IMS issues etc. Prefer a straight non-wrecked car but minor accidents may be ok.
Let me know what you've got!
Thanks
J

PaulE 09-09-2018 02:59 PM

Doubling down, I like it! My car could have been a candidate for you but now my engine is getting rebuilt. Did you ever sell your original LS Boxster?

hpfiend 09-09-2018 03:58 PM

Do a cayman!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

husker boxster 09-09-2018 05:27 PM

This one might be a good candidate - 911 cab.
Not in your neck of the woods, tho.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/mechanic-special-1999-porsche/6686737350.html

seningen 09-10-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 (Post 578964)
Greeting everyone,

Been a while since i've visited, hope you have all been well.

Am interested in a new project car, thinking cheap swap project this time as I keep getting requests for budget LS swaps. Yes I said LS swap so if that is against your Porsche religion then don't sell me your car :)

Interested in a car with a bad motor/ IMS issues etc. Prefer a straight non-wrecked car but minor accidents may be ok.
Let me know what you've got!
Thanks
J

Contract Jake Raby -- he's in your neck of the woods -- there maybe clients of his that decide not to fix their engines, and he'd know of folks looking to just dispose of the car.

Mike

thom4782 09-10-2018 02:36 PM

Hi:

My car is heading for 'bad motor' land, but it's not there yet. From the diagnostics, it looks like its time for a rebuild before the motor grenades - P1341 and black plastic pieces in the sump. My wrench turning skills are not up to the job.

Check this forum link out and let me know if you're interested: http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/73078-01s-semi-roller-sale.html

Regards,

Thom

speedntktz 09-11-2018 10:47 AM

How far from Home are you willing to consider?

garv214 09-12-2018 07:46 AM

Here's another one in the SF Bay Area... Looks very clean...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2000-porsche-boxster/6695559487.html

hpfiend 09-12-2018 04:23 PM

Damn i see why you want to do a boxster vs cayman they are MUCH cheaper...

BoxsterLS376 09-14-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 578970)
Doubling down, I like it! My car could have been a candidate for you but now my engine is getting rebuilt. Did you ever sell your original LS Boxster?

Haha yeah doubling down because even though I spent way more then originally planned it is a great car! One of the best I have ever driven. I did sell the original car to a gentleman in Wisconsin who I believe is lurking around these forums somewhere although not sure if he has ever posted. I need to touch base with him and see how he is liking the car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpfiend (Post 578979)
Do a cayman!

Yes as you pointed out further down the line here, Caymans are not really reasonably priced when compared to Boxsters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 578991)
This one might be a good candidate - 911 cab.
Not in your neck of the woods, tho.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/mechanic-special-1999-porsche/6686737350.html

Thanks for the lead, that is very well priced! A 911 would probably be the smarter build but to be honest I think the Boxster is a much better balanced car! Still may give them a call though! :)
Thanks for your reply!

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 579038)
Contract Jake Raby -- he's in your neck of the woods -- there maybe clients of his that decide not to fix their engines, and he'd know of folks looking to just dispose of the car.

Mike

Yeah if all else fails I may do that but I'm sure he would rather talk them into a $20K rebuild :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 579068)
Hi:

My car is heading for 'bad motor' land, but it's not there yet. From the diagnostics, it looks like its time for a rebuild before the motor grenades - P1341 and black plastic pieces in the sump. My wrench turning skills are not up to the job.

Check this forum link out and let me know if you're interested: http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/73078-01s-semi-roller-sale.html

Regards,

Thom

Definitely interested but would like to know more about it, the Craigslist link in the post is expired - please send more details!
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedntktz (Post 579113)
How far from Home are you willing to consider?

I like road trips so I'm willing to consider just about anything as long as it does not involve importing from overseas :)
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by garv214 (Post 579145)
Here's another one in the SF Bay Area... Looks very clean...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2000-porsche-boxster/6695559487.html

DANG! I REALLY don't want a black on black car as summers here suck bad enough, but DAMN thats a pretty good deal! Maybe a wrap and an interior swap :)
Thanks for the lead!
J

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpfiend (Post 579195)
Damn i see why you want to do a boxster vs cayman they are MUCH cheaper...

Yessir! I'm figuring to find a decent complete Boxster in the $3-5K range as where Caymans didn't have nearly as high of an engine failure rate and you'll be lucky to find a cheap one $10k+

I appreciate all the replies, definitely keep em coming!

husker boxster 09-15-2018 01:31 PM

Here's a Cayman.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/2006-porsche-cayman-needs/6697637927.html

Jibbster 09-16-2018 02:41 PM

sent pm on a lead

hpfiend 09-18-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 579367)

Saw that one- its a tiptronic though. The harness and gauges and center console trim and pedals would have to be sourced from Porsche. That guy is dreaming btw that car wouls be 7k if a manual.

ttmedical 10-05-2018 02:20 PM

I know you're looking for a Boxster S with bad motor so I'm gonna counter with a 2003 Boxster base w/ bad tiptronic transmission hahah! Supposedly the torque convertor has failed. The engine and all other components are still in great condition, AFAIK. Let me know if that is interesting to you at all; IDK much about LS swaps so if this car doesn't meet what you need, sorry!

ski2die 10-10-2018 11:47 AM

I don't have an 'S' but I have a 2006 that was just diagnosed with an engine failure. Are you still looking? Base/Blue/2006/ Minor scratches from original owner / No body damage / ~24k miles / Wife's vehicle. I only got to drive it to the gas station every fall to fill it up before storing for winter.

BoxsterLS376 11-20-2018 04:21 PM

Hey everyone,

I appreciate all the leads and offers! I have found my next project car, but unfortunately it is not a Boxster :( The good news is that it is still a Porsche!! :) I'll probably be doing some YouTube videos on it if anyone is interested, but this one is to nice to get the V8 treatment, I think. Without further delay, the next project is...

2004 Porsche 911 C2 convertible! So the project side of it is that the motor seems to have hand grenaded itself! The car itself is in very nice shape, only 39,600 miles on it, the only other down side is that it is an automatic, but that can be changed out easily enough!

Nothing is set in stone yet but after some research tonight it looks like the whole motor will have to come apart as I found the back of the IMS bearing in the transmission bell housing inspection port and dropped the oil filter and it looks like the lost city of gold in there~ So you never know, maybe I will stick a V8 in it ;)

Since this is a Boxster forum i'll probably not post many updates here, maybe i'll post a thread over on Pelican, but either way i'll let you all know and will at least post a link to my first video of the series here so you know where to find my future videos.

Thanks again everyone and don't worry... i'll be back! Boxsters are just to much fun bang for the buck not to have one but I just couldn't pass up this deal so off to the 911 side I go for now!
Thanks!
J

Prelude Guy 11-28-2018 08:29 PM

Did you buy the one from North Carolina? Silver one? I was looking at that one but his asking price of $8000 was way too high.

Are you sure it is easy to swap from auto to manual trans?

Also, if you need a 2004 3.6L engine with 35K miles, let me know. I have one available.

BoxsterLS376 12-04-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy (Post 584157)
Did you buy the one from North Carolina? Silver one? I was looking at that one but his asking price of $8000 was way too high.

Are you sure it is easy to swap from auto to manual trans?

Also, if you need a 2004 3.6L engine with 35K miles, let me know. I have one available.

Yup thats the one! He was negotiable on the price and the car is in very nice condition. If I can put a V8 in a Boxster swapping a auto to manual transmission is no problem. All it takes is parts. Cars were designed for both so just need things like clutch pedal assembly, hydraulics & lines, shifter, not sure if you have to swap the whole center console or just the shifter insert... Instrument cluster, obviously clutch, flywheel etc., then you just re-route a few coolant hoses. I don't think you need to swap the engine ECU although I haven't fully researched it.

Send me a PM on the engine you have and how much you are asking. My plan is to rebuild what is in there as from what I can tell other the the IMS bearing completely shredding itself I think the motor is OK. ECU showed no codes at all for misfires or anything. What I think happened is that this is one of those IMS bearings that never made any noise, just ripped itself apart until the nut/bolt on the back of the bearing broke off, dropped into the bell housing and hit the torque converter, which I believe is the "noise" the guy hear when he shut it off. Of course at that point the bearing had just come apart and started pissing oil all over which earned it a tow to the mechanic who basically threw the worst case scenario at the guy which immediately scared him. I doesn't even look like they took the filter off before they deemed it dead.

You never know though, it may be completely trashed in there. Luckily I know a guy who can rebuild these if needed, he is going to be at our shop tomorrow so i'll let him know what I found and see what he says. Still gotta get the motor out first but other project have been more pressing. Once my master bathroom is done then i'll be full tilt on the 911!

robdelorenzo 12-05-2018 06:03 AM

I may have a candidate for you - an 02 Base (I just noticed the "S" in your post though), 160K, nearing engine-disaster land, not sure if I want to keep it or not.
PM for details if interested.

Bankjob 01-16-2019 05:42 AM

search craigslist may show up under Boston or Rhode Island. I think its located in Seekonk RI