Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

WTB: 97-99 base for Spec build

As the title says, looking for a base car to build into a Spec Boxster. Southeast car preferred, but willing to travel for the right car at the right price.

Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #2

I totally get wanting to build your own car but I know of some if you're looking for a completed spec boxster. That's the cheaper route.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I totally get wanting to build your own car but I know of some if you're looking for a completed spec boxster. That's the cheaper route.
Most of the cars that I've seen for sale are overpriced IMO. I've run the numbers and feel that I can do if for substantially less, since I will not be using a shop for the build (not my first race car build).

Working on two wrecks, one hit on the front and one on the back. Should be able to make 1.7 cars out of them, that will give me a spare engine and trans, as well as other parts. Also have quite a bit that can transfer from the car the I am parting (seats, fire system, etc).
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

There's some guys spending $60k for a spec boxster, and I'm like "How?!" Most of the used one's that are for sale seem to go for around $30k.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:27 AM   #5
trj

Spec boxster

I have a pristine one just built for sale for $32500. Save yourself the time. You will not build a nice one any cheaper. On another note I just bought a 74k car for 5k 98 boxster so they are out there if you are looking to build.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

My build sheet is showing just less than 20K, not counting my effort/time.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

My build sheet, to include the $6K for the car, $5K for a cage (way over-budgeted, but will cover all padding and extras), and $3.2K for data acquisition is just a tick over $33.5K. I've saved roughly $5k so far over what I should have spent by finding things online used (like control arms).

Can't upload an excel spreadsheet, but I'll convert to pdf for you to take a look at.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SpecBoxsterBuild Sheet-Summaries.pdf (7.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: pdf SpecBoxsterBuild Sheet.pdf (123.5 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by ianacole; 04-21-2016 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added files...
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

That doesn't look bad.

I have many of the items already on hand that will transfer from the parting of my current race car (seat, belts, window net, cut off switch, fire suppression, accusump, trans cooler, engine oil cooler, etc). Cage is only 2K and I'm looking at buying a wreck for significantly less than the 6K you budgeted (even after repairs). I have a wheel trade setup 17x9's for 17x8.5s and already have two sets of toyo RR's at the house. I will also be looking to grab some items used and have a hookup to get some at wholesale, so that will also save.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
trj

Spb

That makes sense. I have a roller sitting in the garage without an engine/trans. or front bumper. I would let that go cheap if that would help. Im in Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
That doesn't look bad.

I have many of the items already on hand that will transfer from the parting of my current race car (seat, belts, window net, cut off switch, fire suppression, accusump, trans cooler, engine oil cooler, etc). Cage is only 2K and I'm looking at buying a wreck for significantly less than the 6K you budgeted (even after repairs). I have a wheel trade setup 17x9's for 17x8.5s and already have two sets of toyo RR's at the house. I will also be looking to grab some items used and have a hookup to get some at wholesale, so that will also save.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
That makes sense. I have a roller sitting in the garage without an engine/trans. or front bumper. I would let that go cheap if that would help. Im in Virginia
Let me see what I come up with first.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
That doesn't look bad.

Definitely a better start than from scratch!

ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote