986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Another track day failure. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72933)

maytag 08-03-2018 09:40 AM

Another track day failure.

Well, i went out with NASA this weekend to do the outer loop of UMC (the fastest configuration). 4th lap of the day, tried to downshift to 3rd (from bottom of 5th) before turning-in to turn one, couldn't find the gear (wouldn't go in), hit neutral, released the clutch but pedal stayed on the floor. Coasted off track, levered my toe under the pedal and lifted it, but when I pressed it, it just went right back to the floor and stayed.

I needed to move, so I shut the motor off, put it in 1st gear, started the motor, but the car didn't move and i heard rattling.

Towed it home, climbed under and dropped the plastic covers: no leaks from master or slave cylinder. I'm really hopeful this is just clutch and not input shaft or something.

Anyone experienced this before? Any clues or observations?

(Car is an '03 S)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Stroked & Blown 08-03-2018 11:04 AM

I had similar symptoms when my clutch line cracked in between the body & fender.
The smoking gun was clutch fluid dripping on the ground just fore & inboard of the front door hinge.

My issue was #9 in this diagram:
https://www.design911.co.uk/uploads/...86_1997-04.gif

maytag 08-03-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown (Post 576601)
.....The smoking gun was clutch fluid dripping on the ground just fore & inboard of the front door ....

Well isn't THAT interesting?
I have what I thought was an unrelated wet drip, off the left side of ther steering rack. So.... just inboard and forward of the door hinge.

Ima dig deeper!

However: putting it in gear and starting the motor, car doesn't move... this doesn't sound like a hydraulic failure? Waddya know?

maytag 08-03-2018 07:23 PM

Sunnuva......https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...84997d8f1d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...59827672b7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...06717cbd6c.jpg

78F350 08-03-2018 08:38 PM

Just spray some expanding foam in there to keep the loose parts from knocking around, then patch it with some JB Weld.

On a serious note: I do have a transmission from my 2000 S that I can make available if you have trouble finding one. But, August is a super-busy month and it would take me a while to get it organized.

maytag 08-03-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 576634)
Just spray some expanding foam in there to keep the loose parts from knocking around, then patch it with some JB Weld.

Hahahaha.... now we're talking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 576634)
On a serious note: I do have a transmission from my 2000 S that I can make available if you have trouble finding one. But, August is a super-busy month and it would take me a while to get it organized.

Thanks. I'll let ya know if it comes to that.
Any idea if the cases are the same between the 5spd and 6spd? (I started another thread about that) My trans should be in good shape, otherwise.

Geof3 08-03-2018 09:00 PM

Oh, ouch! WTH? Did the clutch or flywheel disintegrate? That’s some crazy damage!

Deadeye 08-04-2018 04:05 AM

Cases are different. From what I see in the pics you could patch the holes.

itsnotanova 08-04-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadeye (Post 576640)
Cases are different. From what I see in the pics you could patch the holes.

I agree as long as there's not too much carnage inside. It will look like a Frankenstein case when done. I have a guy that could tig that for $100.

MaxD 08-04-2018 02:25 PM

Dan - that absolutely sucks.

Agree on the patch if the insides of the bell housing are not scrambled.

PM me if you want any help.

Max

maytag 08-04-2018 03:05 PM

Thanks, all of you! You're helping me stay positive about this, haha.

I'll see if I can find somebody around here that can tig that for me. (Max, you know anyone?)

My real problem will be deciding where to draw the line on the project. I mean, IMS? RMS? AOS? new half shafts? All of those make sense while I'm there.... then what?

This could just keep growing.

By the way: once in there, any way to tell i.d someone already did the IMS?

maytag 08-17-2018 08:07 PM

Update on the repair / project.

I took the transmission to the guys at JT Tatum racing. They specialize in porsches, and are particularly experienced with the 986. They feel confident they can weld up the holes in the bell housing. They'll put new seals in it while it's there.

Today I picked up my new AASCO lightweight flywheel and SACHS sport clutch pressure plate from my machinist, who balanced them for me.

I got the new IMS in. The one I removed appeared to be in perfect condition. No slop, no gaps, etc. The shaft itself was full of super clean, golden colored oil. I mean, it looked perfect. Not bad for a motor with 147k on it. Of course, I have no idea if it's been done before, since I've only had it for 5 months. But if it's been done before, it was not done with an updated bolt, or anything else that looks non-factory.

I couldn't get the RMS to go in. I destroyed it in the process. I'll pick up another on Monday and try again with a new method. And fellow forum member MEIR has offered to loan me the factory tool!!

Hopefully tomorrow, since I'm broke down on the back end, I'll install the water pump and thermostat, if I can find a few minutes to sneak away.

So, that's where I'm at. Just plugging away on a lot of different projects, keeping me from being able to find time to work on this one.

rastta 08-18-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 577660)
Update on the repair / project.

I took the transmission to the guys at JT Tatum racing. They specialize in porsches, and are particularly experienced with the 986. They feel confident they can weld up the holes in the bell housing. They'll put new seals in it while it's there.

Today I picked up my new AASCO lightweight flywheel and SACHS sport clutch pressure plate from my machinist, who balanced them for me.

I got the new IMS in. The one I removed appeared to be in perfect condition. No slop, no gaps, etc. The shaft itself was full of super clean, golden colored oil. I mean, it looked perfect. Not bad for a motor with 147k on it. Of course, I have no idea if it's been done before, since I've only had it for 5 months. But if it's been done before, it was not done with an updated bolt, or anything else that looks non-factory.

I couldn't get the RMS to go in. I destroyed it in the process. I'll pick up another on Monday and try again with a new method. And fellow forum member MEIR has offered to loan me the factory tool!!

Hopefully tomorrow, since I'm broke down on the back end, I'll install the water pump and thermostat, if I can find a few minutes to sneak away.

So, that's where I'm at. Just plugging away on a lot of different projects, keeping me from being able to find time to work on this one.

Not sure why - but my AASCO flywheel decided to have one of the bolts back out and take out the Crank Position Sensor. It's the bolt that holds the starter ring to the flywheel. Apparently the Boxsters only have 3 bolts and 911's have 6. I had my machine shop redo the flywheel and add the 3 additional bolts since i have a 3.6 in the car. Just make sure they are tight!

maytag 08-18-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rastta (Post 577682)
Not sure why - but my AASCO flywheel decided to have one of the bolts back out and take out the Crank Position Sensor. It's the bolt that holds the starter ring to the flywheel. Apparently the Boxsters only have 3 bolts and 911's have 6. I had my machine shop redo the flywheel and add the 3 additional bolts since i have a 3.6 in the car. Just make sure they are tight!

That's good info! I'll check them all. Thanks for the heads up!

For what it's worth: the flywheel was less than 1/2 gram out of balance. (Pretty dang close! ) the pressure plate was about 3 grams out.
But they're both dead nuts on, now. ;-)

MaxD 08-21-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

I took the transmission to the guys at JT Tatum racing.
You hooked up with the right guys. They are my recommend.

Shawn and JT will get you going again.

maytag 08-21-2018 05:35 PM

RMS is in!

Meir offered to send me his porsche tool to do it, but I couldn't find time to get with him on the phone, and then I got impatient tonight. So I made a tool out of a 4"abs cleanout. I drilled it so I could bolt it to the crank and then just pulled it on with the bolts, 1/4 turn at a time. Went right on.

So this weekend I'll get the flywheel and clutch on, and then I'm ready for the transmission. (The guys at Tatum were going to try to get to it to weld up those holes on Wednesday or Thursday this week).