Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

PSS9 Questions - missing a part

Hi all - I bought a used set of Pss9s for my 986 and I am not sure if I am missing a part. It was not immediately apparent if I was missing the small washer in the first diagram from Bilstein, or if in fact that was part #2 in the Porsche PET diagram on the bottom

Are they the same part and just get re-used? If not and I am missing a part, anyone have a set that are currently dis-assembled and could get me the ID, OD, and thickness? It will take a month for Bilstein to figure it out and locate the part, whereas I can have it turned in 15 minutes at my local wrench...

Bilstein Diagram

Thanks!

MattMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #2

Update - or is part not actually used on the PSS9 - I have heard it both ways.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #3

I think that part gets re-used, when I installed my Koni FSD they indicated to re-use that part. It is kind of ambiguous in the Bilstein diagram but I believe it is reused. I think it is there to help facilitate the rotation of the fronts, as the back doesn't have this washer. I think you can see the bottom side of this special washer in this photo:

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #4

It is required. My mechanic had a couple of spares off an old bilstein suspension. No pics at the moment but essentially the shock has a conical transition from the top of the shock to longer piece that is threaded and goes through the bearing. The conical washer sits inverted on the conical portion of the shock to provide a pivot point if beyond what is provided in the spring retainer (#4 from the PET picture). Also there is a plastic-ish plate that has roller bearings that is not pictured that sits on top of #4 that comes over with #4 from the factory strut.

Harder to describe than to slide it together, but once you see the washer it all makes sense how it lines up.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

Can these be run at stock height, or lower? Or, do they start off lower than stock and only go lower from there? Thinking of coil overs at some point, but would like the option of keeping stock height with the possibility of lowering in the future.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

I think you can dial them up to stock height, but can go a couple of inches lower