986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Camber w/out GT3 Arms, avoiding the penalty (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70946)

truegearhead 02-07-2018 04:23 AM

Camber w/out GT3 Arms, avoiding the penalty

I'm trying to fit my car into NASA's TT5 class and there is a heavy penalty for non-stock control arms. Currently I have Elephant racing GT3 arms but I'm curious if anyone has tried to get acceptable front camber on a lowered car with notched strut mounts or camber plates. If I can do this I'll go back to stock.

:cheers:

Quadcammer 02-07-2018 05:34 AM

depends what you consider acceptable. I'm anticipating 2.5 degrees with slotted shock towers, lowered suspension, and factory coffin arms. camber plates should get you that or more

rastta 02-07-2018 07:54 AM

I have 3.1 degrees in front with no GT3 arms - just slots and lowered suspension. It's really low though and adjustability is limited. I'm honestly going to the Elephant arms when I tear it apart for the shock rebuild/maintenance. You like those arms?

seningen 02-07-2018 08:09 AM

re-drill the upper mounts on my S and I get -2.5 with stock arms, I do have lowered springs and K-Sports.

Mike

truegearhead 02-07-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rastta (Post 562110)
I have 3.1 degrees in front with no GT3 arms - just slots and lowered suspension. It's really low though and adjustability is limited. I'm honestly going to the Elephant arms when I tear it apart for the shock rebuild/maintenance. You like those arms?

That’s good to hear! I love the elephant arms, the replaceable ball joints are a huge plus. They can be replaced in minutes without a press, there’s just a snap ring that releases them. It’s also nice to be able to adjust camberwithout shims (like the true Gt3 arms).

The Radium King 02-07-2018 09:56 AM

i've heard that the elephant control arms attract rats so you don't want to keep them in your garage for any length of time; better sell them to me cheap as soon as you remove them ...

AZ986S 02-07-2018 12:09 PM

Wow!

Seems like slotting or redrilling and you can get -3.1 degrees camber in the front?
My experience is -1.8 deg in the front with H&R lowerings springs with stock struts, mounts AND slotted towers. Looking at the upper mount fit, there is NO room for more inboard movement even if I were to slot more. The mount will just contact the tower, so what do you do then? Machine the upper mount? Maybe camber plates have smaller outer dimensions and allow more inboard strut movement. Never tried.