Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #1

Chuckwalla

Heading to Chuckwalla this weekend for a single day Sunday. Weather will be a near perfect 80F and sunny. First time at Chucky with the new R-Comp tires, so I expect to be at least 2 seconds faster, maybe 2:13. Anyone going this weekend?

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
We were just there 3 weeks ago with PCA running CW with decent temps in the low 90s. I managed a 2:07 on RE-71R tires. 2:06 haunted me all day Sunday but couldn't quite get there.

Good luck!

Last edited by Topless; 11-16-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #3

Good luck!!! Visualize your 2:13 lap (I'm not sure where you are now in terms of lap time), maybe you would have gotten 1-2 seconds already due to experience, and then maybe 2 more on top of that for tires
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Such a great track. POC was there a couple of weeks ago. Why not come out and join us next year, get some instruction and take a few more seconds off your time? I could tell you what the spec boxsters were running there but it may be better not to know until AFTER you've been
NigelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelT View Post
Such a great track. POC was there a couple of weeks ago. Why not come out and join us next year, get some instruction and take a few more seconds off your time? I could tell you what the spec boxsters were running there but it may be better not to know until AFTER you've been
I'd love to get out to Chuckwalla with POC. Yeah I can guess what the spec Boxster times are... probably around 2:05, maybe less

Was out there today, and what a beautiful day it was. Got there around 6:45 am and it was a nippy 45F, but it warmed up quickly. My group was out last on the first session at 9:35 am, by that time it had warmed up to 57F or so. It got up to 75F in the afternoon and sunny blue sky. Got 4 x 20 minute sessions in with progressively better times, but by the 4th session, I was pushing it harder and my times were very consistent at 2:12-2:13. So I met my goal of 2:13. I did have a passenger all day.

I have to say that I enjoyed how Speed Ventures does things. 1st, they greet you at every session and place you in the grid according to your times, eliminating guesswork for optimal grid positioning. 2nd, they do what's called a download after each session, more or less just a formal review of any incidents, complaints, point bys, track etiquette etc... I think AZ PCA and my local group Pro-Autosports should do this too as it seems many people have forgotten about proper track etiquette.

I'll post a video when I get a second to overlay the data and render the 4th session.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
I'd love to get out to Chuckwalla with POC. Yeah I can guess what the spec Boxster times are... probably around 2:05, maybe less
Sounds like a great day! My experience with SV was hit or miss with a lot of on track safety issues from cowboy drivers in the past. It's been several years since I have run with them and the word is that they have tightened things up a lot lately. On track safety is a good thing.

Top BSR times with PCA are 2:03 and I assume the same with POC since it is usually the same top drivers in both clubs. Keep in mind that they are running a 2450# car on 40tw tires, and Chuckwalla is all about grip/weight, not HP. SPBox and Spec944 are both potent weapons there.

PCA Zone 8 runs 6 weekends/yr at Chuckwalla, mostly in fall and winter so come on out and play. Our next one is Jan 27, 2018. Always excellent coaching available with top drivers.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Sounds like a great day! My experience with SV was hit or miss with a lot of on track safety issues from cowboy drivers in the past. It's been several years since I have run with them and the word is that they have tightened things up a lot lately. On track safety is a good thing.

Top BSR times with PCA are 2:03 and I assume the same with POC since it is usually the same top drivers in both clubs. Keep in mind that they are running a 2450# car on 40tw tires, and Chuckwalla is all about grip/weight, not HP. SPBox and Spec944 are both potent weapons there.

PCA Zone 8 runs 6 weekends/yr at Chuckwalla, mostly in fall and winter so come on out and play. Our next one is Jan 27, 2018. Always excellent coaching available with top drivers.
Hey thanks. Where can I find/register for those events? I didn't see anything on the motorsportreg.com schedule.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Hey thanks. Where can I find/register for those events? I didn't see anything on the motorsportreg.com schedule.
Reg. usually opens 5 weeks before the event. Here is the 2018 schedule for Time Trials. More DE dates will be added in December. If it is your 1st time running with PCA-SDR it is a good idea to class your car in advance and register the day it opens. Chuckwalla dates are popular and tend to fill quickly.

DE/TT Schedule | Porsche Club of America San Diego Region
http://www.pcasdr.org/competition/get-started-online-driving-event-registration/

Last edited by Topless; 11-20-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

OK thanks Topless. I'll definitely see you there!

Here's a 23 minute video of the 3rd session of the day at Chuckwalla last Sunday. Fastest lap was 2:12.9. Lost the car OBD data for the 4th session (RPMs not showing for some reason), but got down to 2:12.0.

It was a really bright sunny day so there is some glare occasionally...

https://youtu.be/KaEAu7W8_bM

I actually past a Cayman GT4 around the 20 minute mark, and was quite surprised! Maybe he just wanted to make me feel good about my driving

Last edited by AZ986S; 11-23-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #10

If I had a $100,000+ car I might ease around a little bit, but it sure is fun passing the high $$$ high power cars
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #11

Here's a high res photo of my car on turn 12 @ Chuckwalla CW on Nov 19 with Speed Ventures. I like the fact that the red corvette and kit car (?) are behind me

Last edited by AZ986S; 11-27-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #12

I also will head there very soon..
stephaniea44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #13

I would really enjoy meeting up with the PCA SDR members for the next DE/TT at Chuckwalla on Jan 27-28. It is still possible but here's what I'm up against:

Jan 13 - Wild Horse Pass East Track (Pro-Autosports)
Jan 20 - Arizona Motorsports Park (PCA)
Jan 27 - Laps for Ladies @ Arizona Motorsports Park (Pro-Autosports) for my GF

Jan 27-28 - Chuckwalla (PCA SDR )!!!!

Feb 10 - Wild Horse Pass West Track (PCA)
Feb 11 - Wild Horse Pass Main Track (Pro-Autosports)
Feb 23 - COTA @ Austin, TX (MVP Track Time)
Mar 3 - Arizona Motorsports Park (Pro-Autosports)
Mar 10 - Arizona Motorsports Park (PCA)
Mar 17 - Chuckwalla (Pro-Autosports)
Mar 24-25 - Chuckwalla (PCA SDR )
Apr 7 - Wild Horse Pass West Track (Pro-Autosports)
Apr 21 - Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Pro-Autosports)
May 5 - Arizona Motorsports Park (Pro-Autosports)
May 26-27 - INDE Motorsports Ranch (Pro-Autosports)

It's going to be a busy winter/spring to say the least

Maybe I could do Laps for Ladies with my GF on Jan 27, then drive out to Chuckwalla, CA for Sunday Jan 28th? But it looks like it's a 2 day weekend event. Topless, would it be possible to do Sunday Jan 28th only?

Last edited by AZ986S; 12-18-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Sure AZ, you can always sign up for one day of a two day event. Having never driven with SDR the CDI may want to do a check ride with you but no big deal. Talk to Robert directly about it as he handles all the registration.

We always have lots of choices to run with different groups and we could drive every weekend all year long if we wish. I really gave this a lot of thought and now concentrate my efforts with one or two event organizers. Different things are important to different people but these are the reasons I tend to run mostly with PCA:

*High safety standards so I can bring my car home in one piece.
*High level of driver development with good coaching available from nationally rated HPDE instructors.
*Reasonable car count limits so the grid is not stuffed with 40 cars/session.
*A group of drivers I trust to share the track with.

There are other *for profit* track day groups who share similar priorities and there are some who offer none of these benefits. Choose the mix that offers the best fit for you and your development as a performance driver.

Last edited by Topless; 12-19-2017 at 07:32 AM.