Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #1

Replacement KW Spring URGENT

I recently picked up some used KW V2s and it appears one of the springs is bad. Its much shorter than the other front spring for some reason, very odd. Anyways I can't achieve the proper ride height and need a replacement ASAP. I have an track daythis Saturday! KW has replacements but it doesn't appear they're going to get here in time. Any ideas? Can you use springs from a different coilover setup temporarily?

By the way I've been leaning on this form a lot lately, thanks for everyone's help getting this car together!

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #2

This is a wild shot in the dark - is there a chance you got one of the front and back springs mixed up? The backs are shorter (or maybe the fronts are shorter, but if you had one front and one back they would not be the same length)

Or, one of the springs isn't rotated properly and so it is not sitting flush with the lower spring perch, but instead is sitting up on the lip, that would give it what look like about 15mm extra height?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
This is a wild shot in the dark - is there a chance you got one of the front and back springs mixed up? The backs are shorter (or maybe the fronts are shorter, but if you had one front and one back they would not be the same length)

Or, one of the springs isn't rotated properly and so it is not sitting flush with the lower spring perch, but instead is sitting up on the lip, that would give it what look like about 15mm extra height?
I don't believe so. They came assembled from the previous owner and the rear doesn't have a problem
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #4

KW uses a proprietary spring diameter - it comes out to 2.4 inches vs the standard 2.25 or 2.5. You can use a 2.5 depending on the brand of spring but you need to make sure the perch will accommodate it. Also I don't remember the designations for springs "lb" rating that is stamped on the spring if there is one - also I believe their spring rates are progressive so it's not standard in that respect either. Is the tender spring there on both?

Last edited by rastta; 04-17-2017 at 06:07 AM.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I don't believe so. They came assembled from the previous owner and the rear doesn't have a problem
Do you have any pics?

Maybe the height adjustment is different for one side - I think they are progressive and the first bit to compress probably goes at a pretty easy rate, like a built in tender spring.

Count the coils - does each side have the same amount of turns.

In order to remove coilovers, it is easier if you can compress them as much as possible by running the height adjustment all the way to an excessively low setting. If one side was turned less than the other during the removal process, this could make them look quite different.

You may have this info already, but here are the ranges of adjustment for the KW coilovers for 986:

It looks like they can be set from a range of .8" lower up to 1.5" lower according to their marketing. The following instructions contain the minimum and maximum acceptable range of adjustment for the spring collars.

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/extras/docs/BBXQ/15271001-eah68671001.pdf

It looks like you can use the dimensions for "A" to set the coilover in the approved range and then you can use "B" as a check. Or you can pick you desired "B" setting and map it to the proper part of the range of "A" to get you close to your desired setting as a starting point.

My personal coilover advice - make sure each side is set "exactly" the same - either count the turns our use a micrometer/caliper to measure and set the starting point, mark the rings with a white crayon, and then count the turns - worry about corner balance and things like that after you get the ride height sorted out to your liking, or else you will have to pay twice for the corner balance...
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #6

This previous thread might shed some light on this and shows the type of springs fitted. No tender spring.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/63679-kw-coilovers-bottoming-out-badly.html

Definitely progressive springs - not standard "straight" coilover springs. Not sure you'll find anything out there to substitute.

Try contacting Casten at KW and see if they can overnight you the right spring. I worked with him on some issues I had with my V3's on my TT and actually visited the plant here in CA. Not sure if he's still there though......

carsten.wagner@kwautomotive.com
Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
This previous thread might shed some light on this and shows the type of springs fitted. No tender spring.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/63679-kw-coilovers-bottoming-out-badly.html

Definitely progressive springs - not standard "straight" coilover springs. Not sure you'll find anything out there to substitute.

Try contacting Casten at KW and see if they can overnight you the right spring. I worked with him on some issues I had with my V3's on my TT and actually visited the plant here in CA. Not sure if he's still there though......

carsten.wagner@kwautomotive.com

Thanks for everyone's help! KW is looking for an alternative spring that's in stock, fingers crossed! They seem like they have great customer support.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Garage
Since you seem to have no margin for error I'd suggest you get 2 springs. That way you don't end up last minute having 2 mismatched springs and outta time.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Since you seem to have no margin for error I'd suggest you get 2 springs. That way you don't end up last minute having 2 mismatched springs and outta time.
That's the plan, and you're right about zero margin! I've knocked out the list below over the last two weeks and dropped the car off this morning to have a roll cage installed. It's going to be incredible if this all works out.

-new IMS bearing
-New revised IMS cover
-New rear main seal
-New Elephant racing GT3 control arms
-new tie rods
-coilovers installed
-GT3 rear toe arms
-GT3 brake ducts
-new pads
-new belt
-small diameter underdrive pulley
-new sway bar
-new strut mounts
-oil change
-brake fluid flush
-alignment

The good news it's at least on he ground and running, even if it's way to low with its bad spring

Last edited by truegearhead; 04-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #10

Looking good, and I actually saw one other car with a Lexan spoiler similar to yours, one of my first instructors that raced an F class 2000 Boxster S. He had the Lexan mounted to the OEM spoiler in such a way that he could raise and lower it to make adjustment.

Good luck with it all and for this weekend!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #11

KW confirmed all spring options are 30 days+ out so that's not an option. Tarret can over night me Swift springs which are 60mm in diameter (1mm under KWs) and are available in 450lbs and 500lbs (they may be able to get other rates I'll know tomorrow). I'm not sure what length will work with KWs and I'm not sure if KW shocks will handle that rate (I doubt it). The KW front rates are published simply as progressive but the rears are only 285lbs! What do you guys think? The car is under 2500lbs so the 450/500 rate is probably too stiff anyways. Think I would be safe with a 350lb spring? What would you go with? Any ideas what length I should get? If the car weren't in a shop an hour away getting a roll bar installed I'd go measure.

Cheers,
Old 04-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post

Thats the guy I got the kit from

Well at least I know I didn't install them incorrectly. Sigh...
Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
KW confirmed all spring options are 30 days+ out so that's not an option. Tarret can over night me Swift springs which are 60mm in diameter (1mm under KWs) and are available in 450lbs and 500lbs (they may be able to get other rates I'll know tomorrow). I'm not sure what length will work with KWs and I'm not sure if KW shocks will handle that rate (I doubt it). The KW front rates are published simply as progressive but the rears are only 285lbs! What do you guys think? The car is under 2500lbs so the 450/500 rate is probably too stiff anyways. Think I would be safe with a 350lb spring? What would you go with? Any ideas what length I should get? If the car weren't in a shop an hour away getting a roll bar installed I'd go measure.

Cheers,
Spec guys run PSS9's with similar weight springs so I'm sure the KW's can handle it - as they are adjustable. As for spring length - you'll have to measure but I'd say a 7-8" spring would probably be enough if you weren't doing a tender spring. The H&R coilovers use a 160mm spring in the front with a tender spring.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #14

UPDATE (3 days until VIR): The member who sold me the coilovers agreed to pay for the replacement springs! Awesome guy, you've got to love this community. KW proved not be much help and couldn't give me spring rates, or spring lengths but I took a guess and ordered a set of Swift springs from Tarret. They're rushing me out two that'll be here by Thursday evening, this is getting tight. I also just got a call from the cage shop that is having a problem with fuel lines that close to weld points so I'm stopping in there tomorrow to try and find a solution. With any luck this will all come together, looks like I'll be changing springs and aligning he car at the track Friday night.

I do have one new wrinkle I'll have to work out, I normally run on slicks and have some autocross 200 tread wear street tires with but they're a little low. It's supposed to dump rain Sunday so oddly...I might bring wheels with winter tires on them. I'm heard their soft compound and deep tread actually work well at speed in standing water. Seems crazy but I might give it a shot of it gets bad. Here's an interesting Road and Track article I'm drawing the idea from.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/amp5604/winter-tires-track-tested/

Last edited by truegearhead; 04-18-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:10 AM   #15

(Update 2 days left). The bar is in!