Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #1

Spec 986 vs. Spec Boxster? (Since when are there two)

I've gone and confused myself again. what is the difference between spec Boxster and spec 986? Huge difference in lap times.

http://www.nasaracing.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/NASA-LAP-RECORDS.xls

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:13 AM   #2

I see where the PCA mentions a few classes (I'm assuming thy adopted these from NASA. I still don't see why the 986 Spec time is so slow, is that 2:23 VIR record correct?

https://porscheclubracing.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/POC-2015-GCR-BSR-Boxster-Spec-Rules.pdf
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #3

The Porsche club racing link had BSR v. BSX. The difference there is BSR - race car, full roll cage required, wheel to wheel racing. BSX - street legal car, only rollover protection required - no wheel to wheel, time trial and autocross only.

I think the spec 986 v. Spec Boxster is due to slight rules differences between NASA and SCCA, so they designate them differently. On the first tab of that link spec boxster held the faster time, but on the third tab spec 986 had the better time ( granted with a much narrower margin).
Merlotsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

There are at least three spec series for the 986 Boxster;

1. PCA SPB
2. POC BSR
3. NASA Spec 986

The POC has taken the path to align itself with the PCA so the POC rules and PCA rules are 99% the same. This allows drivers to race in either series without worrying about car configuration.

The NASA Spec 986 rules are 98% common with the PCA/POC rules. There are a few items that differ from POC/PCA but not significantly. Engine, gearbox, weight, suspension are all the same as POC/PCA. Difference example; NASA allows 94 octane fuel whereas POC/PCA allows no more than 91 octane.

The top five biggest contributors to different lap times in the three series are:

1. Driver skill
2. Driver skill
3. Car/driver at min weight with a competitive suspension setup
4. Weather & track conditions
5. Driver skill
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-14-2016 at 08:23 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Wasn't there also a "Super Spec" class for awhile?
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Wasn't there also a "Super Spec" class for awhile?
Yes, for the 3.2L Boxster's. Never really took off and has since sort of gone quiet.
1979 911 SC
Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, for the 3.2L Boxster's. Never really took off and has since sort of gone quiet.
When I was first looking for a Boxster - I was looking for a Spec Boxster. One guy had one for sale in San Diego that he said was built to the "super" spec. Nice car - and quality build but he wanted more than I thought it was worth and given I couldn't find any info on the class - I passed.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

Hi everyone,

I searched to find the answer to my question, and it sort of falls under this topic. Since this thread is relatively new, I figured I'd just ask it here.

Tom: I'm reading the POC and PCA rules on suspension, and PCA says you can only use PSS9s if you've had them on prior to 2011 (which obviously--being a total novice--I have not). Otherwise, it's saying you need to run the JRZ coil overs. POC requires PSS9, and no other options. NASA also says PSS9s. Seems like a pretty huge discrepancy to me--if you're just getting started, you'd have to choose between running NASA and POC... or PCA only. Do you (or anyone) have any thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

As a little background: I'm a complete novice. I've wanted to start DE/AX and eventually racing for as long as I can remember... I'm getting old, I figure it's now or never. Any insight would be awesome!

Thank you!

Quote:
The POC has taken the path to align itself with the PCA so the POC rules and PCA rules are 99% the same. This allows drivers to race in either series without worrying about car configuration.

Last edited by Boxster_S_girl; 03-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

Boxster_S_girl, I think you must have misread the PCA rules. All the Spec Boxsters running with the PCA use the PSS9 shock.

Looking at the 2017 PCA Club Racing Rules, I see on page labeled "page 25 of 59" (page 28 in the PDF), SPB class rules, 4.E., says Bilstein PSS9 shocks.

The rules from PCA, NASA, and POC are practically identical. It's easy to build a competitive car that is legal in all three organizations.
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Spec 996 has got some grandfathered shocks, maybe that is what you saw?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #11

Oh, good grief...

I was reading 2E under SP996.

Thanks, guys, for the responses. Did mention I'm a total novice?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster_S_girl View Post
Oh, good grief...

I was reading 2E under SP996.

Thanks, guys, for the responses. Did mention I'm a total novice?
I want to give a shoutout to Boxster_S_girl for checking the rules BEFORE building a car!

Y'all have no idea how many people contact me after they've built a Boxster track car only to find that most of the parts and modifications they did aren't legal in BSR/SPB.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 03-21-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:15 AM   #13

Not sure if WRL is big out there on the west coast but it seems to be a racing series that has a growing boxster presents. They have a lot more open rules to what can be done to a car. It's more about weight to HP ratio. Almost all of the guys I know who race in that series started off with 2.5's but are now switching to 3.2 engines. I saw you were looking for a car to go racing in. Maybe if you come across a nice 2.7 or 3.2, you can still enjoy racing it somewhere.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 03-21-2017 at 03:17 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #14

Hey, thanks Tom!

My professional specialty is in compliance/contracts/law, so I can be obnoxiously pedantic with these things. I've test driven great cars, but minor details would disqualify me from spec so I'm on the fence. (BTW, thanks to the recommendation in your build thread, I went to House for a PPI, unfortunately the seller backed out.)

Woody: I'm a few years out from spec racing (ax/HPDE would come first) so I have time to consider non-qualifying cars... I recently looked at an incredible 2.7, and a 2.5 with mods that would disqualify it from spec, I just don't know if I want to build another 2.5 purchase into the cost of this little adventure.

As far as I can tell, world racing league hasn't taken hold in California. It sounds great and it looks like fun, but I'd definitely want to still participate in POC/PCA so it limits my options. ��

If anyone knows of a good 2.5, let me know!

Quote:
I want to give a shoutout to Boxster_S_girl for checking the rules BEFORE building a car!

Y'all have no idea how many people contact me after they've built a Boxster track car only to find that most of the parts and modifications they did aren't legal in BSR/SPB.

Last edited by Boxster_S_girl; 03-21-2017 at 12:52 PM.