Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Steering wheel for Spec Boxster

Any tips, suggestions, etc on steering wheels? This is going in a Spec Boxster build. Round, anatomic, flat bottom, diameter? I know some of this depends on personal preference but if anyone has tried something whether positive or negative, I would like to hear it.

oksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #2

Okay, I'll ask a different question, what type of Momo wheel do you have in your car? Do you like it and why? Is there anything you don't like about it?
Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

I use a Momo Mod 07. I wanted a suede wheel for grip, and the dish is perfect to put the wheel where I want it.

Sit in a few different cars and see what wheel you like - there is no reason to pick one over another - just personal preference
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

I have no idea what model this is - but it's the perfect dish and diameter and I do like the flat bottom.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

I don't have, but I wish I had, a wheel with an open top, so I could see the oil temp. gauge.
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

Mod 07 is a round wheel, no anatomic protrusions on the rim, and about twice the dish as rastta's which looks like a Mod 88. Its pretty flat.

Yes, I should have sat in some cars at Oktoberfast earlier this month but I didn't. I've never even sat in a 986 before. I have a 981. I am 6'1", maybe a little dish will be good?

I wasn't sure about the flat bottom, especially with a detachable wheel. It seem that when you are turning it that extra room goes away and doesn't really help your hands clear you legs or anything.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #7

I have the MOMO MOD.30 Black Suede with Buttons Steering Wheel with flat bottom in my SPB, I am 6'2" and found the flat bottom gives me some room from my knees compared to the full circle
jonasjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

I like the 330mm Sparco Wheels the best. This one I have in several cars and is a nice thick wheel for great control: Sparco USA

If you want to go crazy.. save some weight with this one: http://www.sparcousa.com/product/carbon-385

Last edited by FirePowered; 11-22-2016 at 06:14 PM.
FirePowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Originally the builder asked me to look at the different Momo wheels and decide on one but he put a Racetech wheel in. Its round and looks good, I'll know more about flat bottom, dish, diameter,etc. after I actually get to drive it I suppose.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

Well depending on what you want to spend. NRG just came out with a new suede race wheel that is pretty cost effective.

It is not quite as big as some of the other out there at only 320mm, but I like the fact that there are dual buttons on it as well, so that you can toggle your radio if you want from the wheel.

Let me know if you want some more information on it, as I am a dealer for them. I do have one of these in another spec car, and the gentleman who is using it says he really likes the feel and size. I realize that is kind of personal preference though.

$130.00 plus shipping is pretty much the least expensive wheel that is of any real quality I have found out there.

Let me know if I can help.

Erik Johnson
The Race Line
(720) 899-6005

Erik Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #11

Nardi....

That986 is offline   Reply With Quote