986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   largest oil -water heat exchanger that fits? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62402)

Bebbetufs 07-17-2016 10:32 PM

largest oil -water heat exchanger that fits?

I would like to know which cooler is the largest that will fit under the 2.5l intake runners. Is there anything bigger than the Boxster S cooler?

JFP in PA 07-18-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bebbetufs (Post 503399)
I would like to know which cooler is the largest that will fit under the 2.5l intake runners. Is there anything bigger than the Boxster S cooler?

No, the S cooler is as big as you can go before hitting the intake runners.

Bebbetufs 07-18-2016 02:15 PM

S cooler ordered. Now I need to make a gt3-style s-duct for the centre radiator.

madmodz 07-18-2016 06:25 PM

The boxster S water lines are also physically larger then the regular boxster. There was a comparison done on this forum.

steved0x 07-19-2016 07:33 AM

Random thread hijack - I have wondered if a fan pack could be added to one side of the oil/water heat exchange to force some more air around it to help shed some heat. I've never seen one in person so can't tell how deep those ridges go - if they would provide any surface area to shed heat, or if it would be negligible.

rastta 07-19-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 503557)
Random thread hijack - I have wondered if a fan pack could be added to one side of the oil/water heat exchange to force some more air around it to help shed some heat. I've never seen one in person so can't tell how deep those ridges go - if they would provide any surface area to shed heat, or if it would be negligible.

My engine cover has been modified to include two large fans in a shroud built above the engine. It is operated by a simple toggle switch on the dash. It works great to cool the engine and the oil cooler. Pics at home so I can't post em right now.

steved0x 07-19-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rastta (Post 503583)
My engine cover has been modified to include two large fans in a shroud built above the engine. It is operated by a simple toggle switch on the dash. It works great to cool the engine and the oil cooler. Pics at home so I can't post em right now.

Very interesting, I would love to see a pic sometime. No rush :)

rastta 07-20-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 503596)
Very interesting, I would love to see a pic sometime. No rush :)

Heh - I looked for some pics last night - and only have a top view - which doesn't show the fans. I'll snap some next time I have a chance as the car's in the trailer waiting to get an alignment.

Bebbetufs 07-20-2016 01:40 PM

Just be aware that in the event of an engine fire you now have created an effective chimney directly into the cockpit. You have nothing protecting your head from the flames....I don't want to put down the idea, it will probably work well, but I think you shuld be aware of the risks.

Bebbetufs 07-20-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmodz (Post 503499)
The boxster S water lines are also physically larger then the regular boxster. There was a comparison done on this forum.

The main lines or just the front lines? I suspect the S uses the same water necks for the the outle and inlet to the engine so the difference for the main lines can't be huge. Is the difference in the Y at the front?

rastta 07-20-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bebbetufs (Post 503770)
Just be aware that in the event of an engine fire you now have created an effective chimney directly into the cockpit. You have nothing protecting your head from the flames....I don't want to put down the idea, it will probably work well, but I think you shuld be aware of the risks.

The car does have an on board FE-36 fire suppression system with nozzles in the interior and engine compartment - but so noted.

Bebbetufs 07-26-2016 02:20 PM

Good idea to have such a system. I should have known you had thought about this.