986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Helmet recommendations? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62124)

78F350 06-25-2016 07:01 AM

Helmet recommendations?

I'm doing my first DE at Hallett in August and I need to buy a helmet soon. The requirement is Snell SA2005 or newer. I saw this on Amazon and the price looks low compared to most others:
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1466866198.jpg

I am not trying to find the cheapest helmet, but between my wife and I we are taking two cars into this and the future and it looks like there will be plenty of other things to spend money on.

Questions:
As long as it meets the standard, what else should I look for?
Full face vs open, what's preferred?
Will a $300+ helmet give much benefit over a $150 helmet?
Snell 2010 vs 2015, should I just go with 2015 - does it matter?

What do I not even know to ask?
What color helmet will make the car FASTER?

Thanks.

Nine8Six 06-25-2016 07:58 AM

No particular recommendation, but have to say this; if you read about the various impact mechanics research, you'll soon find out that there are no evidence that an helmet will save you on impact at or above 20mph (as in your head traveling at 20mph and suddenly hitting a stationary object - worst case scenario). Snell or DOT or NOT! lolll

That said, don't waste all your money on 'new tech' but, ideally, do get one from a reputable manufacturer that fits your head. Avoid buying online would be my best advise to you Jon. The helmet should remain fixed (aligned) when you turn your head from left-to-right as fast as you can. Go to a store where they sell them and try them on (a must, if you want something that needs buying once). The correct "fit" aspect is a far more important concern than the accreditation itself.

fwiw

steved0x 06-25-2016 08:34 AM

2010 is fine and will be good for 5-10 years depending on the group you run with. If they are close in price, go with 2015. Make sure to try before you buy for the best fit.

Ben006 06-25-2016 09:14 AM

I have this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/zsc-h71403fl/overview/

And so far I am very happy with it! it's comfy, not too heavy, and it looks quite good!

And it's SA2010 approved!

Nine8Six 06-25-2016 10:38 AM

RE Full face vs open, what's preferred?

I use a full face because I dislike eating bees (bike/road racing). In a car the only advantage that I can think of the full face is protection for cabin fire & smoke. If you don't plan on setting your car on fire then the open helmet design might be better (hot summers!).

Dunno man. Love helmets, got 6 or 7 here... lost track. Only got one remaining without some sort of major road rash or crash marks lolll

JayG 06-25-2016 11:08 AM

Get at least a SA 2010 as most organizations no longer allow a SA 2005 to be used
Don't get a non Snell helmet as most organisations require Snell rating

One of the differences between a lower cost helmet and expensive ones is the weight. More$$ = less weight. If they both have the same Snell rating they should offer the same protection

I just bought this one
Pyrotect Full Face Pro Airflow SA2010 Helmet Closeout White

What is nice about the Pyrotect helmet is the cheek and head pads are easily removed and interchanged for fir. Pyrotect will send you a different size of pads, charging you for them, but refunding the full amount (less shipping) when you return the ones you don't want

The helmets come in 2 shell sizes, XS-M and L- XXL with the only difference being the thickness of the pads

BTW, that helmet looks exactly like the Pyrotect one

As others have said, find a place that sells helmets and try them on for fit

Racer Boy 06-25-2016 02:02 PM

Get a full face helmet. Wearing an open face helmet leaves approximately 2/5 of your head unprotected. A cheaper helmet that meets the same standards is fine, but the quality of the materials and workmanship gets better the more you spend. It's the "you get what you pay for" rule.

I'd never buy a helmet online without at least trying one on first. Different helmets have different shapes to fit different shaped heads. If you have a round head, get a helmet that fits round heads, if you have an oval shaped head, get a helmet that fits that shaped head. Having a helmet that has your forehead burning in a 20 minute track session will take some of the fun right out of your track day.

78F350 06-25-2016 02:16 PM

Thanks all for the input. I'm leaning towards getting the one that I first posted from Amazon for myself. Reading further it seems that it may be made at the same Chinese factory as the one JayG got. Ben's looks good, but I'm thinking gloss white for summer heat. (Congrats on Graduation Ben!)
I wear a helmet daily at work and I'm pretty comfortable in choosing size (especially if there's a return policy). For my wife though I'm thinking it's best to find a shop where she can try them on. Both for safety and comfort ...and because it is not good to buy one's wife the wrong size anything.
Here's my 'daily driver' helmet. Originally a beautiful ~$1000 hat, but I'm always bumping my head into things and ended up re-touching it with a spray can :eek:
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1466892823.jpg

grc0456 06-25-2016 02:58 PM

I just bought a G-Force GF1 open faced SA2015 from Summit Racing online. Measured my noggin and used their sizing chart. Seems to fit fine snug, but not uncomfortable. Full face was a bit to cumbersome for me, and I probably aren't going over 50-60 mph anyway on the AX course. Since I am new to AX and plan to go 3-4 times a year, I was tired of borrowing or using loaner helmets, and wanted a basic, affordable helmet. It was $180. I decided to spend about $40 more to get the Sa2015, rather than 2010, so hope to get good use out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rick3000 06-25-2016 09:33 PM

I personally prefer open face, they are easier to take on/off and a bit cooler in warm weather. I would look for an SA2015, it will be good for an extra 4-5 years over an SA2010. :cheers:

Smallblock454 06-25-2016 10:33 PM

Hello,

my recommendation: don't buy helmets online. Go to a local shop and test the helmets by putting them on your head. You will see that there are big differences. Some will fit, some won't even if they have the same size. Also there are differences in weight. A light one with the same security level is always the better choice. Don't buy the cheapest, buy the one that fits best to your head contour. If you have the opportunity try the helmet while sitting in the car and closed top. So you can check if you have enough headroom.

Because the car is a roadster a closed helmet will be better if you have a real terrible accident. Open helmets in general offer a little bit more comfort but less security.

Hope that is helpful.

Regards, Markus

thstone 07-05-2016 07:56 PM

Get a full face helmet.

Sizing is not standard or consistent in any way. Even within a manufacturer. Either go to a store or if you buy online be prepared to return a couple until you find the right fit.

Never skimp on safety. Get the best safety equipment that you can afford. Your wife and kids will be happy you did if you ever really need it.

Racer Boy 07-06-2016 06:08 AM

For goodness sakes, get a full faced helmet! Wearing an open faced helmet is like wearing fingerless gloves, ass-less chaps, or just a lap belt.

78F350, do you fly in a helicopter for work?

78F350 07-06-2016 08:58 AM

I got a Conquer SA-2015 for myself online and found a shop in Tulsa where my wife got a Zamp RZ-35 ($239 ~same price as Amazon). They both fit well - a little tight, but they will get more comfortable after break-in. Glad that we fitted my wife in the shop because it was not the size we had thought from measuring and looking at various charts. (I found that manufacturer size charts vary.)
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1467823447.jpg

Quote:

78F350, do you fly in a helicopter for work?
I fly an EMS helicopter at work. Shortly after posting this thread I actually had a call for an elderly woman who had fallen from standing height. Nasty open head wound and traumatic brain injury. It doesn't take a lot of force to get an injury that will change your life.

itsnotanova 07-06-2016 10:37 AM

Do you guys think having a full faced helmet is as important for someone who autocrosses? I'm on the fence about where I plan on doing most of my racing at but I'm thinking I'll spend most of it at those events vs track events. Sitting in a hot car on a 100 degree day is no picnic. I'm leaning toward the open face for that reason.

ianacole 07-06-2016 11:25 AM

For autocrossing (and undoubtedly some will disagree with me here), I'd get the cheapest M-rated open-faced helmet I could find. Most sanctioning bodies allow previous 3 rating years, so an M2005 will be good until 2020.

JayG 07-06-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianacole (Post 502135)
For autocrossing (and undoubtedly some will disagree with me here), I'd get the cheapest M-rated open-faced helmet I could find. Most sanctioning bodies allow previous 3 rating years, so an M2005 will be good until 2020.

do not buy a 2005 helmet, most clubs will not accept it any longer. June 30 was the cutoff

Most clubs require it to be no older than 1 approval than current. As 2015 is the newest,, the next older one is 2010, so 2005 would not be allowed.

Also many do not allow M, they require SA or SAH

YMMV

JayG 07-06-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 502131)
Do you guys think having a full faced helmet is as important for someone who autocrosses? I'm on the fence about where I plan on doing most of my racing at but I'm thinking I'll spend most of it at those events vs track events. Sitting in a hot car on a 100 degree day is no picnic. I'm leaning toward the open face for that reason.

Woody, I have been using a black full face helmet for the last 2 years and haven't found it to be that hot. For AX, I run Top down and for track, top up.

I have done several events with 100 deg days

IMHO, I would rather be slightly warmer with a full face helmet that have an open face helmet and something happens and my face gets messed up.

Frankly with the visor open, its not much different as far as air flow

ianacole 07-06-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 502147)
do not buy a 2005 helmet, most clubs will not accept it any longer. June 30 was the cutoff

Most clubs require it to be no older than 1 approval than current. As 2015 is the newest,, the next older one is 2010, so 2005 would not be allowed.

Also many do not allow M, they require SA or SAH

YMMV

From current Solo rules (but definitely check who you run with as they may have supplemental rules):

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCCA
4.3.1 Helmets
Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course:
All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation
standards (SA2015, SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2015, M2010,
M2005, M2000, K2015, K2010, K2005, K98); SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A,
31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A; ECE R22.05; FIA standards 8859-2015, 8860-2010, 8860-
2004; or British spec BS6658-85 type A are acceptable

JayG 07-06-2016 02:17 PM

Well neither PCA nor POC accept a 2005 helmet. When I have looked at other clubs for AX and track like BMW and Alfa, they too won't accept a 2005 helmet anymore .

I have never run with SCCA and have not looked at their rules

Frankly, IMHO the year thing is a bunch of poopoo and a way to sell helmets
Then again, is saving a few $$ worth a brain injury?
I just bought a new helmet and it is SA 2010, so I have 5 years. By then I probably won't want to wear it