Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Heater core delete

Hi all

I am in the process of building a spec boxster. I am pretty new to Porsches but fairly mechanical and think I am making good progress. Anyway I am looking to delete my heater core and was just going to put a bypass tube under the battery cover after removing the core itself but I was told I can do it at the water pump and eliminate a few unneeded lines running under the car? Can anyone shed some light on how this is done? Maybe a photo on where I can do the bypass?

Thanks

cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Heater core bypass

I found a photo from someone else's car which may help if you can figure out the orientation it's looking at.

Basically:
1. Get an elbow-shaped connector that fits the smaller rubber hose size. Some use plastic, some use brass.
2. Where the inlet/outlet hoses lead away from the engine, disconnect them from the hard lines, cut one so that you can join them together using the elbow. As you can see in the photo, they kind of end up at 90 degrees from each other after you do a little manhandling of the hoses.
3. Up front, remove the heater core and cut off the hard lines leading to it, as far down as you can access them (they will remain sticking up behind the battery to some degree).
4. Underneath, cut the hard lines off where they lead up behind the gas tank, as far up as you can access them (they will remain dangling but I think there's a mounting bracket that will keep them held in place. Unfortunately it's impossible to get rid of the remaining section that snakes its way up behind the gas tank -- unless you remove the gas tank.
5. Remove the now disconnected hard lines running under the middle of the car between your front cut and your rear cut/disconnect.

I was actually able to sell my heater core for a modest price! ... back in 2009 ...

trygve is offline   Reply With Quote