Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Series other than BSR/BSX?

Since my track car is an '02, I'm not eligible for spec racing. What would be another good series to run with a 2.7L motor car? I've looked into a few, looking for real world experience opinions not speculation. Trying to figure out which sanctioning body and series to set up for (knowing there's some overlap between most SB's)

TIA

993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
PCA, POC, SCCA, and NASA all have racing series that are primarily based on wt/hp and tire choice. On the East Coast PCA club racing is very active with several tracks a few hours away. I recommend checking out the local racing and find the group you like to run with the best, then carefully build your car to the rules for a win.

I currently run Time Trials with PCA and just changed classes again when I changed cars. I ran BSX for 3 years in the Boxster and one-design spec racing can be fun.

Last edited by Topless; 09-03-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

GTS 2 in NASA... PCA "F" class, I think? As pointed out above, there's lots of classes based on what you want to be able to modify on your car.

I liked running GTS with NASA ... but with every sanctioning body, there's some good, some bad, and strong opinions all around. I suggest visiting the different sanctioning bodies in your area, run an event (DE or HPDE), and see which "management" style suits you.

Last edited by ianacole; 09-03-2015 at 04:49 PM.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:21 AM   #4

I'm not looking to modify much, guess I'm hoping for a "spec" style class or a class that somewhat fairly groups cars so everyone has a chance. Apparently NASA has a PT class that takes not only power to weight into consideration, but also add or subtract points for any and everything such as tires used (points based on type and rating of tire), brakes used etc. Your classed after all points against the car are tallied. Sounds interesting but possibly cumbersome. May just keep it simple and set up as an SCCA ITR car and go race with the S and A crowd. I have friends in each and should be able to find someone to chase
993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #5

NASA PT is not a bad choice... there are online calculators that can help with the classing. But you brought up the best point in your last sentence "I have friends in each and should be able to find someone to chase." Regardless of the sanctioning body and series, if there is no one racing in it, it's not nearly as much fun.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993innc View Post
I'm not looking to modify much, guess I'm hoping for a "spec" style class or a class that somewhat fairly groups cars so everyone has a chance.
There is continued talk about a Boxster Super Spec class but they are targeting the 3.2L Boxster S cars. Unfortunately, there is no spec or near-spec class with any of the SB's for the 2.7L cars.

As others have said, your best bet is to find an open GT-type class (where class is based mostly on hp/weight/tires) but you may have to modify the car to be competitive.

Out here on the left coast, the 2.7L Boxster's run in POC GT-5 and are very competitive in that class when built out with Boxster Spec components.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote