Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Need to buy 1 Brake Caliper

I sheared off the outer bleeder valve on the front passenger side during a brake fluid flush and I don't think I can salvage it. I've got a DE event in 10days so I need it ASAP. After talking with my shop, he advised either getting 2 new calipers or replacing with one old caliper. His feeling was that the new and old caliper combination would result in problems as they would react differently. Any thoughts?

Looking to buy one brake caliper for a 1998 Boxster.

Thanks for the help or if you know place to get one. Off to ebay...

P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

If you sheared off the bleeder, maybe you can extract the remaining bleeder threads that are still in the caliper using an extraction bit and replace with a new bleeder screw? You have already talked with a mechanic so they probably would have suggested it if that was an option, but it would be what I would try first if I sheared off a brake bleeder.

One affordable place that sells brake stuff is centric, and they have a front caliper for a 98 Boxster.

ELECTRONIC CATALOG - LOOKUP BY APPLICATION

ELECTRONIC CATALOG - MULTIMEDIA FORM

Comes loaded with pads - I am not sure which ones but if you are using your own pads you could buy the variant with the cheapest preloaded pads and throw the pads away. Around $110 with a $100 core charge it looks like, and they are probably rebuilt units using their caliper rebuild kits. Note I have never gotten one but from looking at their info it looks like a rebuilt brembo caliper.

I would not foresee an issue with one old caliper and one new one, but I would probably defer to someone that had more experience.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

Picked one up on ebay, should be there by Friday.

Frustrating problem. New pads need to go in - using pagid blacks since that was the car was driven with in the past. Also has slotted rotors up front and was seeing a few cracks during the bleed. I was planning on getting through the rest of the season and then new pads and rotors over the winter.

P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote