986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Euro ROW M030 or Bilstein PSS9 suspension upgrade ? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54768)

SvenskaPoika 11-12-2014 05:29 AM

Euro ROW M030 or Bilstein PSS9 suspension upgrade ?

Forgive my ignorance but I'm confused on how to compare the two suspension upgrades. I had the initial impression the preferred 986 suspension upgrade was the Euro ROW M030, however, I've also read several threads on the Bilstein PSS9 kits.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dlirium 11-12-2014 05:45 AM

Probably not a lot of people that have installed both. I will tell you (as you have read) that a suspension upgrade, if you are racing or AXing, is transformational. I personally wouldn't spend the money just for a lower look - lowering springs are a LOT cheaper and will do the trick.

I have the PSS9's, and wow - whole new car on the track.

Bigsmoothlee 11-12-2014 06:10 AM

It depends on what youre going for.

Is your car driven mostly on the street? You may want the M030 ROW suspension. It will stiffen the suspension noticably, and still be comfortable enough to drive every day. Another plus would be that its easier to sell a car with a "stock" upgrade.

However, the ROW M030 suspension will quickly become insuffcient for track duty once you go with stickier tires. Im not saying you wont be able to drive it on the track, but you may find it a little too soft as you become a faster driver.

That being said, Im running on Ksport coilovers.

thstone 11-12-2014 04:56 PM

For street/AX/light track duty, the M030 is more than enough and generally affordable.

But if you want the best performance, an adjustable coilover like the PSS9 is the way to go. Of course, they are somewhat expensive and will rattle your fillings on the full hard setting (save the full hard setting for serious track days). On the soft setting, they are reasonably comfortable on the street.

If you opt for the PSS9's and then put on some sticky street tires, you'll next find that you'll want stiffer roll bars. The 996 GT-3 adjustable front and adjustable Tarett rear bar will fit the bill.

Then, you'll want more camber and lower adjustable control arms will take care of that. While you in there, might as well install the adjustable rear toe arms too so you can get it all into proper alignment.

Then, .... well, you get the idea. Its a slippery slope. :)

Stroked & Blown 11-12-2014 05:18 PM

For the price of an M030, I went with a GT3 front bar, H&R rear bar and k-sports. The setup is great for AX, but it's STIFF on the street. M030 is more of a compromise.

Topless 11-12-2014 06:11 PM

Choose your tires first and then choose the suspension components to maximize control of your contact patches.

-Street car with street tires or occasional 100tw track tires for DE sessions- M030

-Mostly track car but street driven, R-comp tires- PSS9

-Stripped and Caged competition race car- PSS9, Moton, JRZ, Penske etc.

Dlirium 11-13-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 424902)
For street/AX/light track duty, the M030 is more than enough and generally affordable.

But if you want the best performance, an adjustable coilover like the PSS9 is the way to go. Of course, they are somewhat expensive and will rattle your fillings on the full hard setting (save the full hard setting for serious track days). On the soft setting, they are reasonably comfortable on the street.

If you opt for the PSS9's and then put on some sticky street tires, you'll next find that you'll want stiffer roll bars. The 996 GT-3 adjustable front and adjustable Tarett rear bar will fit the bill.

Then, you'll want more camber and lower adjustable control arms will take care of that. While you in there, might as well install the adjustable rear toe arms too so you can get it all into proper alignment.

Then, .... well, you get the idea. Its a slippery slope. :)

Yes - I can attest. I am half way down this slope as we speak :-)

jaykay 11-13-2014 01:59 PM

Well I don't want to go against those with extensive set up experience but I very much like PSS9s even on the street....even with burned out PS2s. I find the ride sublime, even on 18s. Sure the car is damped to terrain follow like crazy but its smooth and confidence inspiring. I do have very good set up people though so....that is big factor. It feels like a brand new car that can work far beyond my driving abilities..

Probably will be the last struts you need; the PSS9s can be rebuilt whereas I don't believe stock Porsche can.

The steering feel on PSS9s at -1,5 camber, for me is fantastic not sure how M030would compare hopefully is just as good. I am on stock S bars and they feel great.

I did come off of tired stock S struts so perhaps I am a little more happy than I should be!

truegearhead 11-14-2014 04:16 PM

I've driven both. The turn in over stock with both is incredible, it'll be the first thing you'll notice. On the street and most autocross courses the M030 will be as stiff as you can go without compromising handling. On a race track (which is much smoother) the Bilstiens will out perform the M030s hand over fist. The M030 kit is 30% stiffer than the stock suspension so even on 17s it will be stiff on the street to say the least. I think that the M030 setup is on the verge of over powering the chassis stiffness but I'm sure I'll get some disagreement here. The biggest draw back to the M030 kit which others have brought up is that its not rebuild-able. The biggest upside is that you can still qualify for "street class" in SCCA autocrosses, or at least that was my biggest upside. There's something to be said about beating someone with a "stock" car on the track, and the M030 offers just that.

All I can say is
http://www.guychurch.com/wp-content/...ose-Wisely.jpg