986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   SCCA Rules help: Spoilers in street prepared (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52438)

truegearhead 05-29-2014 06:48 PM

SCCA Rules help: Spoilers in street prepared

I'm working on a spoiler for next season when I enter street prepared class. The rules for a spoiler is "ten inches from bodywork" does the factory spoiler count as body work? Its unclear in the rule book. The cardboard mock up I have goes 10" above the factory spoiler and then drops ten inches and curves around the tail lights. Never exceeding any factory part by 10 inches. My club is pretty relaxed but I'd still like to follow the rule book. I'm going to try and test it out during next week's practice session.

jsceash 05-30-2014 06:47 AM

You are talking spoiler and not wing? Do you have a Photo?
The Rule. "The spoiler may extend no more than 10" (254 mm) from the original bodywork
in any direction.
The spoiler may be no wider than the original bodywork, and it shall not protrude beyond the overall perimeter of the bodywork as viewed from above."

Ian c 05-30-2014 06:58 AM

That's the question as I understand it ...

Is the bodywork the rear trunk lid , meaning the spoiler will be higher than 10" when the spoiler is up ?
Or is it 10" minus the electric rear spoiler when activated , making it around a 6" add-on when the car is static ?
I think the latter .

truegearhead 05-30-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 402850)
That's the question as I understand it ...

Is the bodywork the rear trunk lid , meaning the spoiler will be higher than 10" when the spoiler is up ?
Or is it 10" minus the electric rear spoiler when activated , making it around a 6" add-on when the car is static ?
I think the latter .

I didn't quiet follow you there, but I just got back from happy hour so who knows. The rule can be interpreted in two ways

1) Factory Spoiler qualifies as body work scenario: This would allow my plexi-glass spoiler to be attached to factory spoiler and extended 10" beyond it.

2) Factory spoiler does NOT qualify as body work: This would allow the plexi-glass spoiler to only extend 10" off the trunk lid

I don't have a picture handy but I'll have one mid next week. It looks ridiculous but will only be on for autoxes

j.fro 05-30-2014 03:18 PM

I'm thinking #2. In our region, Ray Shumin is the go-to guy. Look at SCCA Blue Ridge Region and find his contact info. He'll give you the SCCA straight scoop. Or, for VMSC, post on Virginia Motor Sport Club****-****Virginia Motor Sport Club and someone there will get you in bounds.
See you Sunday at the PCA event...and don't worry about classing. We're all running for FTD.

Ian c 05-30-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truegearhead (Post 402979)
I didn't quiet follow you there, but I just got back from happy hour so who knows. The rule can be interpreted in two ways

1) Factory Spoiler qualifies as body work scenario: This would allow my plexi-glass spoiler to be attached to factory spoiler and extended 10" beyond it.

2) Factory spoiler does NOT qualify as body work: This would allow the plexi-glass spoiler to only extend 10" off the trunk lid

I don't have a picture handy but I'll have one mid next week. It looks ridiculous but will only be on for autoxes

If the 10" is measured from the trunk lid * (which is correct to me) , the factory spoiler when activated is approx 4" high .
So if you fit the maximum allowed 10" rear spoiler onto the motorized spoiler it will pass scrutineering , but will be 14" tall when you press the button or it is speed-activated thus making it illegal :D

* IMHO , bodywork is classed as "model silhouette" when static .
The factory spoiler extends from that silhouette electronically but still stays with the 10" rule so is immaterial .
If it was hieght of any moving part imagine the fun you could have with the higher classes spoiler that cannot be above the roofline ...... The boxster roof goes up a good few inches when opening and closing :D

The Radium King 05-30-2014 06:57 PM

my understanding it that your spoiler is fixed in place so are you talking up or down? I also know that some rule systems have issue with active aerodynamics so uncertain if that applies. what does apply is happy hour (happy three hours?); salut.