986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Another AutoX class question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52225)

truegearhead 05-19-2014 06:38 AM

Another AutoX class question

Lately we've had some great weight reduction thread. I'm ready to pull all kinds of junk out. Before I go too far, what sccca autocross class would I find myself in with weight reductions such as running with out a convertible top? It looks like I'll be out of BSP.

Bigsmoothlee 05-19-2014 10:09 AM

Go easy on the weight loss, or you'll end up in a class where you'll be totally outgunned.

I'd go with some subtle stuff that doesnt affect drivability. For example

-full exhaust system
-lightweight hood/trunk
-lightweight battery
-racing seats
-lightweight rims

That should be about 150-175 right there, maybe more. Youre left with a car thats totally functional and comfortable, and can still be in a stock class. If you want to cheat a little, you can remove the carpet+insulation, and just glue a thin one in its place.

By the way, no one has ever mentioned a cayman engine cover. Its less than half the weight of the stock engine cover but twice as loud.

truegearhead 05-19-2014 10:53 AM

Thanks again Lee, couple follow up questions...
You can replace your hood and trunk with light weight versions and stay in stock?

Can you provide a link to the cayman engine cover? I can't seem to find anything on this. My cover is already very light, I'm curious what caymans have. You're not talking about the lexan cover are you?

thstone 05-19-2014 11:46 AM

Modifying a car and then looking for a class to run in is not likely to result in the best possible outcome.

My best suggestion is to figure out what class that you want to compete in and then modify the car to be at the very top of the class within the rules. Also, go out to the track and take at look at the leading cars in that class and talk to the owners to find out what mod's pay the most dividends. This will give you the best chances of being competitive.

Topless 05-19-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 401047)
Modifying a car and then looking for a class to run in is not likely to result in the best possible outcome.

My best suggestion is to figure out what class that you want to compete in and then modify the car to be at the very top of the class within the rules. Also, go out to the track and take at look at the leading cars in that class and talk to the owners to find out what mod's pay the most dividends. This will give you the best chances of being competitive.

^^ This!

If you are looking to be competitive in AX, choose your class first and then carefully develop your car to the class rules. To win a championship, show up every event and get points. You don't have to win every event to win overall.

Bigsmoothlee 05-20-2014 04:34 AM

So heres the problem guys. In my region, the base Boxster isnt competitive in C stock, and the Boxster S isnt competitive in B stock.

ASP is always dominated by fast Evos and FD Rx7s, and slicks or camber plates will get you thrown into the class ( Never in BSP )

So you can either try your luck in ASP, or move to a class where you can really modify and lighten the car to the max... maybe XP?

jsceash 05-20-2014 06:48 AM

2014 Solo rules SCCA has all Boxsters and Caymans in ASP I saw that change and was shocked.

Topless 05-20-2014 07:51 AM

So you guys only have SCCA in the east? No PCA AX series where you can compete against like vehicles? We have a pretty active PCA series out west with 10 events to compete with very similar cars.

Bigsmoothlee 05-20-2014 01:28 PM

Out here in Northern NJ we have the SCCA, MSNE, PCA, and BMW CCA.

The SCCA and MSNE hate Porsches and stick them in the worst classes, and also host most of the events around here.