986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   GoPro Mounting locations (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52095)

truegearhead 05-10-2014 02:21 PM

GoPro Mounting locations

I'm bringing a GoPro to my autoX tomorrow does anyone have any advice on mounting locations? All I have is the suction cup mount

RandallNeighbour 05-10-2014 02:43 PM

I have mine to the right of the rear view mirror. Some guys suction cup it right to the hood.

truegearhead 05-11-2014 04:57 PM

Thanks for the input, here are the results.

VMSC Boxster Personal FTD - YouTube

kiyakubuke 05-20-2014 08:10 AM

I've never done this, but my friend mounts 1 in a similar location to what you did, 1 between the wipers on the outside, 1 on the front bumper (I would think you could rig up something on the tow bolt) and another facing in at the passenger (if he has one) to capture their fear :)

Ian c 05-28-2014 07:55 AM

I'm gong to video Debbie screaming and killing cones this Saturday
(I lose control and kill more cones but don't scream) :D
Will the rollbar mount fit on a 986 hoop with the Perspex screen in place ?
Will the auction cup mounted on the Perspex screen be too wobbly ?
If not I'll use the adhesive mounts on the outside of the car , but I'm wary of them falling off or leaving paint damage when removed .
Any advice ?

truegearhead 05-28-2014 08:00 AM

The suction cup worked great for me, it was a little shacky but not bad at all. Have fun at the autoX and post the videos!

Ian c 05-28-2014 08:02 AM

Thanks for the reply .
You mounted th suction cup onto the Perspex rear screen / wind deflector thing ?

truegearhead 05-28-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 402480)
Thanks for the reply .
You mounted th suction cup onto the Perspex rear screen / wind deflector thing ?

Right on the clamshell actually.

Ian c 05-28-2014 05:29 PM

Just having a look now , and the rollcage mount doesn't seem to fit with the Perspex in place .
Sucker cup it is .
Ill video driving it to work tommorrow and see if the Perspex is too rattley

truegearhead 05-29-2014 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truegearhead (Post 399952)
Thanks for the input, here are the results.

VMSC Boxster Personal FTD - YouTube

Here's an example of I mounted on the clamshell. Mine has been converted to a manual top so the clamshell rattles around a bit. I'm using a gopro 3 black, ghost edition gopro will look a little better

Ian c 05-29-2014 07:00 AM

I watched that , but I want the gopro inside the car

truegearhead 05-29-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 402666)
I watched that , but I want the gopro inside the car

Can't help ya there unless you have gt3 seats. The bar mount works on the GT3 seat pass throughs really well.

Ian c 05-29-2014 07:47 AM

I was supposed to mount it on the Perspex wind deflector using the suction cup and give it a trial run on the way to work this morning .
But I was too busy smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee .
I will try it after work .
The wind deflector has an annoying rattle that may need fixing first ....

truegearhead 05-29-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 402672)
I was supposed to mount it on the Perspex wind deflector using the suction cup and give it a trial run on the way to work this morning .
But I was too busy smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee .
I will try it after work .
The wind deflector has an annoying rattle that may need fixing first ....

I'd imagin you'll get to much flex and vibration from that but it's worth a try

Ian c 05-29-2014 10:44 AM

That's my main concern .
If it doesn't work , I'll look at removing the Perspex and use my rollcage mount on the hoops and see how that goes with increased wind noise .
The idea is to be able to record her instructors voice as well as her driving so she can later replay her "lesson" at home .

Ian c 05-30-2014 07:02 AM

Well I tried mounting it onto the Perspex wind deflector using a suction cup last night.
The wind deflector fell out when I was "testing" how secure is was with my hand :rolleyes:
I guess that's one more job on my Boxster to-do list , and I'll try my rollcage mount on the hoops tonight ...