Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Garage
Stock Roll Bars Sufficient for Track Days?

I figured this would be the best place to ask this- I am planning on doing my first track day at VIR through NASA, but the main question I had was if the stock roll bars on my Boxster S are sufficient, or if you need some other kind to be allowed to drive. Thanks.

kylekimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #2

Garage
Technically, the factory standard rollbar is enough (see #2 in the link below). The "broomstick test" technically only applies to cars that do not come equipped with a rollbar from the factory.

Minimum Standards

That said, I bought the Brey-Krause rollbar extension as I'm 6'2" and my helmet sits flush with the factory rollbar just to have a little peace of mind as I'm out on the track.

*Edit* Just realized that what I posted pertains to Porsche Club of America DEs only. If you're talking about actual racing (not sure what sorts of events NASA puts on), or through another organization, they may have completely different standards.

Last edited by pharaohjb; 02-06-2014 at 05:27 PM.
pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure that VIR requires the Brey Krause roll bar extension or equivalent (edit for 986, that's what've have so that's all I've checked). I've never been but every event there I have read the tech forms for there seems to require it. It may depend on who is hosting the HPDE though (I have only checked pca). Who are you running with?

I would email the chief driving instructor for the event and see if you could get an official word.

Edit: here is a quote from one of the pca de events at vir from clubregistration.net:"FOR BOXSTERS: 2005 to present Boxsters may run at VIR with the OEM Integral roll hoops. Pre-2005 Boxsters must have additional roll over protection such as the Brey-Krause Extension."

Last edited by steved0x; 02-06-2014 at 06:02 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The NASA South East Section website (which includes VIR) says that the Boxster factory roll bar is sufficient for HPDE events. Go to the page below and scoll down towards the bottom. Under "Roll Bars" you'll find a list of accepted factory roll bars that includes the Boxster.

NASA :: South East Region
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-07-2014 at 04:22 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
I've driven VIR at a PCA track day using the factory bar and my hardtop. Unless your helmet is noticeably above the bar, you should be OK.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The NASA South East Section website (which includes VIR) says that the Boxster factory roll bar is sufficient for HPDE events. Go to the page below and scoll down towards the bottom. Under "Roll Bars" you'll find a list of accepted factory roll bars that includes the Boxster.

NASA :: South East Region
Thanks a lot, that's great, I wasn't looking forward to buying a roll bar extension for $700... I'm short, so I'm sure they won't find any problems with it- really looking forward to the track day, it should be fantastic in the Boxster!
kylekimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekimball View Post
Thanks a lot, that's great, I wasn't looking forward to buying a roll bar extension for $700... I'm short, so I'm sure they won't find any problems with it- really looking forward to the track day, it should be fantastic in the Boxster!
Let us know how it goes and post up some pic's and/or video!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #8

The factory roll bar should be sufficient if you are shorter. I am not that tall (5'10") but have a very long torso, so my helmet is slightly above the factory bar (I also sit very upright for better control). The Brey-Kraus bar extension is a very nice unit.

Look for the BK bar used here and other forums, it will usu be about half the price. Have fun!!!!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #9

Garage
I have a used Brey Krause roll bar extension I want to part with. It's been painted blue but is in fine condition. Willing to part with it for $300.00
cmacduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Mach 3 with your hair….

WTB: Brey Krause Roll bar

I am interested in your roll bar. I would like to purchase it. PLease send me a PM or send me a text at 708.Two Eight Four 0009.

I will be in San Jose to pick up the car next Wednesday and I am driving down to Irvine. Let me know if I can pick it up while I am out there.

Dan
OnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #11

Are there any similar solutions for the 981 Boxster? I would like to run in the Nevada Open Road Races, and they require a 2" clearance when performing the broomstick test. No way I can pass that with the factory protection on my 981 BGTS.

socalsharky is offline   Reply With Quote