Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

OEM spoiler cover keeps falling off

I've tracked my 986 a couple times at Carolina Motorsports Park and both times I have had this issue at the same turn- the plastic cover for the pop-up spoiler has come off about midway through the first day. It happened in the carousel both times. The first time I was lucky- the part didn't break and my buddy's body shop resprayed it and fixed the deep scratches for free. The second time, the piece shattered. The car is stock and was on Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs the first time and Dunlop Direzza ZIIs the second time, so I am not pulling terribly high Gs or going exceptionally fast. Anyone else seen this issue or know of a way to attach the spoiler cover more securely than the OEM brackets?

All of the other tracked 986s I have seen still have their spoiler covers so I'm not even sure this is normal.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

I had the same issue not sure if it is track related or not.....could be. Check that the spoiler cover is not rubbing the boot lid

I had to re rivet / replace the stock rivets....one side still get movement but it is okay
Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

I've had the car well into triple digit speeds many times and it always handled that just fine, along with plenty of autocrosses. It's just this one particular turn...

Did you replace the stock rivets with OEM rivets or something else?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

They were close to the stock ones....I don't think the proper rivets were in there to begin with.....the two side ones were metal